1.7 - The First Life and the Starry Sky

Hairek's light was peeking over Bark'ĺrkesh behind Aenúrfít before Órúma stood to leave.

"I have enjoyed our time together, First Life. You are, indeed, an inquisitive and perceptive being," Órúma said.

"I thank you for your company, Órúma. You have shared much wisdom with me. I go now to Mahar of the Blue Sea to uncover what mysteries she may harbor."

"Take care that you do not upset Mahar. Her tides are tempestuous and wild, and she is powerful. I created her to control those waters, after all." Órúma's voice slid into a playful tone, but their true meaning gave Aenúrfít pause.

With a final nod Aenúrfít left the Vaia of the Glowing Beauty. Hairek's sun was rising quickly in the sky behind the creature, heating the stone beneath its massive feet like tree trunks.

For countless steps Aenúrfít marched over the stone surface of Gó'Dan's breast. The ground rose and fell in steady hills, but was otherwise even and empty. Whenever Aenúrfít stopped and turned around for a moment, the mighty shadow of Bark'ĺrkesh loomed in the distance, a sentinel over the world.

As Hairek's sun disappeared beyond the far horizon, Aenúrfít decided to keep moving throughout the night. The First Life did not feel tired after only two days of travel and hoped that Órúma might be a companion once more under the black sky.

Darkness shrouded the world, and the stars winked down at Aenúrfít from their far off posts in the Void. Aenúrfít continued walking, confident that the stars would provide enough guidance, maintaining their place as Hairek commanded. At least, that was what Gó'Dan had taught Aenúrfít, and she would never lie to him.

After some time, the ground underfoot dipped down a steeper hill, and Aenúrfít had to adjust course to match the steady decline of the cold stones. The creature followed this way as it wound steadily down, wondering at times why the ground was not rising up again as it seemed to before. But the First Life did not fear the darkness or the cold, and so marched onward down the sloping stones.

The ground descended further and further until Aenúrfít finally stopped. The wan light of the stars had seemed to fade, blanketing the world in an even deeper blackness. Aenúrfít looked up and gasped, discovering that huge earthen walls had risen up on all sides. Whatever path the First Life had found seemed to lead down into a great chasm.

Aenúrfít pounded the stone wall nearby with a tightly clenched fist, the raging blood of Hairek pouring through its body in anger. It was now too dark for Aenúrfít to find the way out of the chasm, so the creature lay down to rest, hoping to find an easy path to climb when the sun returned.

The frustrations flitting through Aenúrfít's mind were interrupted, however, when Órúma's icy blue form materialized out of the darkness. "Aenúrfít, why are you here in the pit? Have you lost your way?" the Glowing Beauty asked as she approached.

Aenúrfít sat up. "Yes, and my angry mind troubles me now."

She chuckled. "Did Gó'Dan not advise you to travel only by the light of Hairek's sun?"

"She did." Aenúrfít's head drooped. "I thought I could travel in the darkness, but the stars provided too little guidance. How do you find your way in the shadows?"

"You forget, First Life – I am the shadow," Órúma said. "I do not need the light to guide me. But there are other ways that you may find your path under the stars."

"Will you show me?"

"Yes, child," Órúma answered, and she moved to sit by Aenúrfít. Her frozen aura prickled at Aenúrfít's marbled skin, but the First Life enjoyed her company anyway. "Lie down," she said, and Aenúrfít obeyed. "What do you see?"