Chapter Six

The next afternoon, I'm picking out what to wear but can't seem to locate any clean, weather-appropriate clothing. I don't own many winter shirts besides what I've already worn this week. I choose a purple long-sleeved shirt and smell it, deciding it's clean enough. I spray some perfume, though, just in case it isn't. I brush my teeth, touch up my makeup, brush my teeth again, and let down my ponytail. I curl a few sections of my hair and pull some silver earrings out of my drawer, when I hear a knock on the bathroom door.
My mother enters with a handful of towels. "Going somewhere?" she says. She sits down on the edge of the bathtub after placing the towels inside the cabinet next to the shower. I continue to get ready, "yeah, somewhere"
I try to hide my smile as I put in my earrings. "Honestly, I'm not sure what we're doing. I really never even agreed to the date"
She stands up and walks to the door, leaning up against the frame. "Well, you're eighteen now. You've had enough of my dating advice for a lifetime," she says. "But I'll provide you with a quick recap just in case. Don't order anything with onion or garlic, never leave your drink unattended and always use protection."
"Ugh, Mom!" I roll my eyes. "You know I know the rules, and you know I don't have to worry about the last one. Please don't give Zion a recap of your rules. Promise?"
I make her promise.
"So . . . tell me about Zion. Does he work? Is he in college? What's his major? Is he a serial killer?" she says this with such sincerity.
"Honestly, Mom, I don't know anything about him. I didn't even know how old he was until he told you."
"That's good,"she says.
"Good??!" I glance back at her. "How is not knowing anything about him good? He could be a serial killer" I walk the short distance from the bathroom to my room and grab my boots. I walk over to the bed to slip them on.
"It'll give you plenty to talk about. That's what first dates are for"
"Good point" I say.
I stand up and run my hands down my shirt, smoothing out the folds.
"Well? How do I look?"
"Great, sweetie"