26: If You Break An Egg With Too Much Force, You Get A Mess

As Y/n had predicted, it didn't take the Avengers very long to wake up.

Bucky, being the one who was probably the most used to waking up after events like this, was probably the first one to get up. After realizing what had just gone down was actually really bad and holy fuckheneedstofixthisri--

Longer story shorter, he got to Y/n's room pretty quickly, quietly, and dramatically.

When he got to Y/n's room, he remembered what she'd said.

They don't want to see you.

The memory got to him, the way y/n had looked so betrayed...

Bucky shook the feeling of guilt off, forcing himself to knock on the door in front of him.

 Micheal was the one to greet him, his angry sneer accompanied by red eyes and a pink nose.

"I'm sorry, but the orphans aren't taking any bullshit right now, so get the fuck out of here, asshole," he growled, already starting to aggressively close the door.

Bucky shoved his metal arm between the door and the frame before it could close, "Please, wait!" He sniffed, unable to handle his guilt anymore, "Nobody else is with me. I just want to make sure you're all okay." He said, his voice quiet and filled with a yet-to-be-matched depression.

A pause and a moment go by before the pressure on Micheal's side of the door dropped.

Then, proceeding with caution, Bucky slowly pushed the door open, entered, and closed the door behind him.

When he turned and faced the kids he'd intentionally helped bring into his life, his guilt quadrupled.

Katie was cuddled up in Micheal's lap, fast asleep with puffy eyes and a red nose. A half-eaten tub of ice cream sat next to Maverick, who was nibbling on some Fritos as he stared at Bucky with uneased caution.

Malissa had another tub of ice cream over Scarllet's head as it sat in her lap. Scarllet was asleep, which Bucky figured had been much to her dismay.

Micheal glared up at Bucky as his eyes landed on Chloe, who looked absolutely fine-- unbothered, even. (Much to Bucky's surprise.)

"Chloe, how're you holding up?" Bucky asked gently, not wanting to wake anyone up and cause a disturbance.

The little girl looked up from her book, Fablehaven, with a blank stare, blinked once, and went back to reading.

"Look, guys, I'm sorry." Bucky was starting to crumple, wondering how he could have let these kids down so harshly. "I should have said something about the fighting, about the arguing." He sniffed, tears in his eyes as he desperately tried to maintain his own composure, "Y/n is probably gone forever and I was so worried about what they'd do to her that I completely forgot about the consequences concerning my own kids."

Bucky sighed, scanning the room of broken kids one last time before nodding and turning for the door. "You guys obviously need space to keep cooling down and everything, but just know that my door is always open and that you don't have to talk if you don't want to." 

With that, he left the room, feeling shitter than he had before Y/n had even taken them from the tower.

...

When Tony woke up, his first concern was Y/n. She said they didn't need her anymore. Was that hinting to a suicide attempt? She'd tried before he'd adopted her. Maybe it just meant she'd run away.

Maybe, just maybe, she was still there packing.

Tony raced to Y/n's room, quietly stepping over Bucky and Stephen before bolting up the stairs to his daughter's room.

Pleasebetherepleasebetherepleasebetherepleas--

When Tony opened the door, it was just in time to see Y/n jump out the window.

He paled.

He ran over to the window, almost tripping over Katie and Micheal, almost jumping out himself to go after her.

"Y/n!" He screamed.

But she was gone.
She was gone.

She's gone, Tony.

"Relax Stark she's--" Tony turned to the mouthy Micheal and pinned him by his shoulders, ready to punch his teeth out.

"SHE'S NOT DEAD YOU FUCKING SOCIOPATH" Micheal yelled, his hands coming up and knocking Tony's ribs to get him off of him.

A quick move later and Micheal was a safe distance away from Tony.

Micheal took a breath, glaring at his so-called "dad" with a new sense of trust. Well, lack of trust was probably a more accurate term.

"Grab me like that again and you'll need dentures." Micheal muttered, smoothing his jacket out as Tony clutched his ribs.

Tony just sat there, crumpled by guilt. After a moment, he sighed.

"And I'm sorry about that. I'm sorry about everything that happened tonight, guys. I--" a huff, "I deserve more than my teeth knocked out, and you guys deserve some space from me and Steve right now." he nodded, his eyes never leaving the ground in front of him.

He opened his mouth to say something else, but he quickly decided against it. 

"Okay, now that that heart-to-heart is over, I'm going to let you guys try to get some sleep and all that. Feel free to call if you need anything, I'll be in the lab doing some research." Tony stood, quickly making his way to the door, careful not to step near anyone this time, Sleep well, kiddos." and with that, he was gone.

...

After Bucky had left, Maverick and Malissa decided they were tired, so Micheal locked the door and told them to go ahead.

"I'll keep watch, make sure y'all can sleep without disturbance," he mumbled, sitting down with a small groan.

After that, everyone else (aside from Chloe, who wouldn't say anything right now anyway) was asleep and probably dreaming. All was well.

Too well, Micheal thought, glancing over to the file he'd somewhat hidden in Y/n's closet.

After a moment, he decided there wasn't a reason not too open it and look inside. He should be able to handle it, after all.

So, throwing all caution to the wind, Micheal stretched out and grabbed the folder with his name on it, getting comfy as he opened it and began to read.

...