Chapter 24: Throwing Myself A Pity Party, And Guess What--You're Not Invited

When you opened your eyes, you were back in the living room, surrounded by everyone you'd thought actually cared about you as friends or parents might.

You sniffed, no longer letting your tears fall, nor form. You continued by tilting your head up high, and walking right over the still sleeping Avengers as you made your way to your room.

As soon as you were out of the living room, you started to run. Fast. They wouldn't stay sleeping for long. Especially Bucky, who'd looked so guilty before you left...

When you got to your room, you were greeted by anxiously curious kids.

You shook your head, taking a short moment to find your words. "I have to go, guys." You sniffed, the tears returning for a reason you yourself didn't even understand. "I-- I'll be back, eventually, but I can't just-- stay here right now." You concentrate as you move faster than you had in a long, long time.

You didn't gather much, just the things you felt would aid you the most for the upcoming period of time. You didn't know where to go...

Then again, you didn't care. You needed air. You needed space.

You just needed to think for Christ's sake.

Once you had gathered your things, you gave Katie a quick kiss on the forehead. "I'll be back before you know it KitKat. Okay? I just--" A deep breath as you tried to calm your nerves, "I need to give the team a break. A lot of them are having troubles thinking clearly, and I think I should give them a bit of a break from me." You told her, as sweetly as you could. Maybe, if you treated this as a completely rational and logical decision, it would become one. Maybe it would seem less selfish, and less cruel. Maybe, just maybe, it'd sound less monumental and screwed up.

 Katie, while knowing that what you were probably lying when you said you'd be back soon, nodded in agreement anyway, giving you her full and undenied trust.

You looked to Maverick, who was giving you the concerned look of a lifetime, "Watch over them, Maverick. I shouldn't be gone too long, but they'll be pretty upset."

Maverick nodded, not saying anything as you lept from the window as opposed to leaving through the door.

What went by unnoticed by everyone else, though, was the moment you saw Micheal shove the folder with his name into his jacket. The two of you exchanged a look, and you only hoped things would be okay in your absence.

You needed this, you told yourself.

This would benefit everyone.

With those falsehoods in your mind, you took one last breath before jumping from your window, plummeting down the side of the tower.

You'd taken higher falls then this, but you were hoping you'd never reach the ground. If you did, it wouldn't take Tony long to find you regenerating as a pile of bones at the back of the tower.

So, hoping you could do this, you closed your eyes and took a long breath. You thought of the compound, where Tony had originally put you so you could train as an Avenger.

Think, Y/n, think! You scolded yourself, forcing every detail you could imagine into your head.

Snap.

Your eyes quickly opened when you abruptly landed on a smooth, concrete floor with no more than a mere bruise.

Moments later, you got up, a drunken like happiness spreading across your features as you took in the familiar compound setting.

Y/n, you thought, you can teleport.

......