Chapter Eighteen

"Tell me again why you dragged me to clean up the dance." I ask Rebekah as I throw away some trash.

"Because I didn't get to experience the dance with you, so you're helping me clean so I get to spend some time with you." Rebekah explains.

"Where's Matt?" Caroline asks as she enters the cafeteria confused.

"He bailed. Got called into the work at the last minute." Rebekah explains, grabbing another cup and putting it into the recycle.

"Are you kidding me? So it's just us?" Caroline asks us. "Yup." I reply. 

"And you're late. Clean up committee started at 8:00." Rebekah sassily takes her.

"It's 8:02." Caroline tells her confused.

"Exactly. I managed to turn up on time and I didn't even get to attend the dance, that I organized." Rebekah tells Caroline annoyed, then walks across the cafeteria, dumps the trash out.

"I'm sorry about your mom. I mean, I knew you, like, hated her and everything, but still. I'm sorry." Caroline tells Rebekah something genuine. 

"Sorry about your teacher. He seemed like a nice guy." Rebekah tells Caroline also trying to sound genuine.

"Yeah he was." Caroline says sadly.

"I'm going to get started on the gym." Rebekah tells us before walking out.

Caroline and I let out a sigh and continues with the clean up. Suddenly Caroline disappears and I hear crashes coming from the hallway. I run out of the cafeteria and going down one of the halls and see Caroline and Rebekah pinning Alaric to the lockers with a stake in him.

They back away from him and he grunts pulling out of himself. The girls look at each other then suddenly I'm outside. Caroline had grabbed me and we were at her car. She started to fumble with her keys. "Come on Car. Hurry." I tell her as panic starts to set in.

She stops and drops her keys, in the reflection of the windows Alaric stood behind us. He grips Caroline and snaps her neck, and she falls to the ground. I stand there shocked, Alaric looks at me, "Walk." he demands and gestures to the school. He starts to burn from the sun and grabs Caroline's leg. I walk towards the school, terrified.

~~~~~~~~~~ 3rd P.O.V.~~~~~~~~~~

Rebekah storms into the Mikealson mansion. "Alaric Saltzman just tried to kill me." she tells her brother the moment she sees him.

"Alaric Saltzman is supposed to be dead." Klaus retorts to his little sister as he removes the paintings from the walls.

"Well, he's not! And he's a vampire thanks to mother's spell, with a white oak stake that can't kill him. He's strong, Nik. Too strong." Rebekah explains terrified.

"Where is he now." Nik asks.

"He's stuck at the high school, without a daylight ring, but as soon as the night falls he'll come after us. We need to leave now." Rebekah tells her brother fearfully.

Klaus stares at his sister for a second, "Fine. I'll collect Elena and Clara and we'll be on our way." he tells his sister.

"Forget Elena! Forget Clara! You don't need anymore stupid hybrids!" Rebekah yells at her brother in frustration.

"What I need is protection from Esther's continued assaults against us. And Clara said she'll come with us." Klaus explains.

"We'll protect each other, like we always have. Always and forever, Nik. Girls like Clara come and go. She'll be fine if we leave." Rebekah tries to convince her brother.