Chapter 6 (Chloe)

Start from the beginning

After taking the tray with the steaming bowl of chicken soup on it and head to Ryan's room. When I get to the door I no longer hear sobbing. I don't even hear sniffling. Just some quiet whispering.

Considering the last time I was here was not an hour ago, it was kind of odd but I didn't think too much of it and knocked on the door.

"Come in." I hear Ryan call out.

I kick open the door and walk in. I see Sasha sitting on the bed and Ryan sitting right there with her.

I turn towards Sasha and say "Julie gave me soup to give you. She said to call her or one of the other maids if you need anything."

I place the tray on the bed in front of them, but not too close so that if one of them moves the soup will not be knocked over and spill on the bed. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't like to see that.

With that, I turn around and leave. I walk across the hallway to my room and take out my Ipad, even if I couldn't leave the house, I was sure as hell going to be keeping up with my friends.

Approximately an hour later Ryan walks into my room without even bothering to knock.

"Clo, we need to talk."

"What is it?"

"Your friend, Lana, she's dangerous."

"What the hell are you talking about. Lana's a normal person. She's super sweet and kind." I was outraged. What was he trying to say? Why was he telling me this?

"Well, she's Blake's cousin. And he was the last person to be seen with Millie. Sasha told the police as much when she was questioned. I know we don't always get along, and I know you don't like Sasha but you're my sister and I love you. And I know Sasha loves me. I'm just telling you this because I want to protect you. We want to protect you. Just, please stay away from them. I don't want you getting hurt." He said. He honestly sounded sincere.

"I don't think Blake did it. And, It wasn't Lana for sure. She was with me all night." I tell him, but my voice is low. Am I doubting myself? No, no way.

"I know that. But you don't know her that well. And you sure as hell don't know Blake. Whenever he was around us he seemed super guarded. Like he had a lot of deep, dark secrets."

"He seems nice. And I trust Lana. Even if Blake has been an ass to us the last few weeks, why would he kill his girlfriend? There is absolutely no motive behind those actions. And anyway, why are you listening to Sasha? Come up with your own ideas."

"Clo! I'm just trying to look out for you. You are my sister after all." He exclaimed, sounding utterly annoyed at my comment. Sighing, he says "Just, think about it, okay?"

"Fine, I'll think about it." I jump off of my bed and push him out the door. Before he has the chance to say something else, I slam the door in his face.

I go back to my bed and put away my iPad. I don't feel like socializing with anyone anymore. I just want to take a nap.

A few days later, on Monday, Ryan and I arriveat school after convincing our parents that it would be okay. We told them that we wanted to go, Ryan in solidarity and me because I couldn't be at the house anymore. It was too morbid.

Sasha stayed at the house all weekend. Her father had finally come to pick her up late last night, saying she should spend some time with her family. I feel bad for her, but honestly, thank god she left. I couldn't listen to all the lovey-dovey words my twin brother was telling her.

Much to contrary belief, Ryan and I were very close when we were younger. We used to spend all day, every day with each other. This lasted up until the beginning of high school. He fell in with the jocks and the cheerleaders. I didn't fit in with them.

He was okay at first, but over time he started changing. And not for the better. He kept getting ruder and ruder. Then he started distancing himself from me. Yeah, he always tried to include me with his friends but I saw the way other people reacted to them. I didn't want that for myself. So, I always refused.

In my case, I met Talia in the 8th grade when she moved to town. I was still friends with Ryan then, s it was kind of like out trio. Then, Ryan left and Nava joined our friend group during freshman year. And finally, Lana joined in at the very end of junior year. She was so shy at the beginning, but she seemed nice so I went up to her and invited her to sit with us. I don't believe she did anything bad, and I honestly think Blake is like Ryan, he just fell in with the wrong crowd. Hopefully, nothing bad happens.

Arriving at school that morning was a lot quieter then I would have expected. Although, after such a tragedy, I don't particularily know what I expected. For the first time in 2 years, Ryan and I went to school together.

I get to first period, and because none of my close friends are in that class, just keep to myself. I use those first 75 minutes of the day as some quiet reflection time.

Second period is when I finally see Alana and Blake. They are already sitting at their desks, not talking to anyone. In my mind, Blake is putting up a strong front, not showing his saddness about his girlfriend. Ater al, hy ese would he be so stoic?

The rest of the class is standing around what is usually Millie's desk. They are discussing the situation. As I've heard about nothing but her death during the weekend, I refrain from participating. Occasionally I hear someone mention who they think killed her. It's at that moment the bell ring and Mr. Roe enters the classroom, all stoic, completely as normal..

"In light of the recent tragedy, today will be a free period. Also, while final projects are still due, they will be due the day of your exams. In place of them." Mr. Roe announces.

The class goes by rather quickly, with everyone keeping to themselves. Lunchtime comes around, and I find Lana and Blake sitting together. Since many students decided not to come to school today or were forbidden by their parents from coming, there was a lot of free space in the cafeteria. Sasha and Ryan were sitting together. I went to go join them. Honestly, if anyone asked, I would've just said I was supporting my brother's girlfriend.

Suddenly the doors to the cafeteria opened. Two police officers entered the building. What was going on? Many of the other students started panicking. They came straight up to Blake.

"Blake Carson, you are under arrest for the murder of Melissa Rains."

**************************

First Published July 24th, 2019

Updated September 9th, 2020