carolina's chapter

Start from the beginning

She stopped him, seeking eye contact, which he complied to. Looking into him, she nodded to herself, as if she knew him. "Thank you." she whispered lowly but loud enough for me to hear.
He nodded, before stealing his view from her and walking out.

"Nobody's really happy to see me." she forced a laugh, but her eyes were sad. "I guess I can't blame them." she sighed, looking down.

"I'm sorry." I low key felt bad for her, but I wasn't gon lie and tell her I'm happy to see her. "You can sit there if you want." I pointed to the bench across from me. She nodded, taking strides to get there and sitting down.

"I kinda thought you'd come see me. You were the first person I called you know."

"I was out of town but honestly Carolina why would I?"

It was weird. I basically set this thing in motion. I was living free knowing I had sum to do with her death. And I'm the first person you wanna call? Not the police?

"I was awful to you and Yasmin. I was jealous and hurt. And I just wanted to hurt you back Lamelo. I'm so sorry. I really wish I could take everything back."

I nodded, "So you not going to the police or nothing?"

"Melo, I cant."

"Why?"

"You know, I wasn't kidnapped." she looked at me like I ain't know.

I watched her suspiciously. At this point, I ain't know if she was playing or she deadass think I ain't know.

carolina

His stare was seemingly blank. He didn't speak a word. He probably thought I was crazy.

"Melo, what I'm gonna tell you next you can never repeat to another soul. They'll kill me."

"Who?"

"I know you love Yasmin. That's deadass the only reason I came to you. I honestly think there is someone trying to kill her."

The words from my mouth did not draw the reaction I was expecting but his confusion was evident.

"Listen Melo someone tried to kill me or tried to have me killed, because they thought I tried to have Yasmin killed." an expression I couldn't make out took over his face. "Trust me, I know it's hard to take in.."

"Who?" Melo coughed before he spoke again, "Who tried to have you killed?"

My heart swelled at his words. He asked about me before Yasmin. Maybe there was hope for us later in life. But I wouldn't push it. Life's too short to be hung up on a boy who can't see your value.

"I'll tell you everything...."

Everything was good that day. It was my mother's birthday and we had went out for dinner. Despite my theatrics, my parents loved me very much. I was their only daughter and their chances with me seemed elastic.

For the first time in years, my dad had tucked me in.

"Carolina, I'm proud of the woman you're becoming." he smiled, before leaning in to place a kiss on my forehead.

As he left, closing the door behind him, I found myself caught in thoughts. What on Earth was to be proud of?

I was a class A mean girl, I lacked any filter as to what came out of my mouth, and my legs never seemed to stay shut.

I wasn't always like this. I blamed Melo.

Love was always supposed to win, at least that's what I had thought. But I loved Melo and it would
never be enough. He was so taken by that hood girl. Sometimes I just wished she was dead.