secret alliances

yasmin

"Here, down this." Hakeem rose his voice over the blaring music.

I tore my eyes from the teenagers who grinded against each other to see him holding out a brownish drink for me. I sat on the other side of the counter as he stood in front of were the drinks lied out.

"What is it?" I took it from him, examining it with eyes of skepticism.

"Good shit."

I shrugged taking a sip from it. The taste was familiar. Straight henny.

"Imma name my baby Hennessy," I said pleased, before placing it down.

"You 17 talkin bout baby names?" He brought the blunt to his lips, inhaling for what I counted as five seconds before exhaling.

"What," I reached out my hand for the blunt, "You tryna go half and half on one with me?"

He laughed as he handed it over, "Maybe.." he smirked.

"Get a room damn." Armani came from behind me. I watched in confusion as he took the remainder of my drink from the counter, downing it.

"Oh that was yours? My fault." He chuckled. I stuck my tongue out as him. He reciprocated my action, mockingly.

"Here, I'll make you another," Keem moved to do so.

"Nah, it's cool," I stopped him.

"What, you not tryna get drunk with me?"

"I gotta drive home tonight," I explained.

"So do I." he shrugged, taking another sip from his.

I was reminded of Melo immediately. It's been two weeks since the game. I wondered how he was holding up with Lonzo still in a coma. Even though he didn't talk about it much, it was so obvious he was affected by it. And regardless of what he did, I didn't wish that pain on him.

I had him blocked on my phone, but unfortunately my mind couldn't do the same. Everything reminded me of him.

"Hakeem stop, drunk driving ain't no joke." I grabbed the drink from him.

"For real nigga. Is you out your mind?" Armani took it from me, before taking a sip from it himself.

"Wow." I laughed, watching him drink some more.

"What, I ain't driving." he laughed, shrugging.

"Why you over here anyway?"

"Aye this my hood too." he said in defense, before looking around, "Y'all seen Jayo yet?"

"Nah, he and Kenya ain't show yet." I told him, pulling out my phone. I took it upon myself to shoot her a quick text making sure all was well.

"Aye, by the way. I heard what happened with Melo. You gotta know—"

"I'm not interested." I stopped him.

"It ain't in him to purposely hurt you Yas, I think you know that."

"You ain't hear her say she not interested?" Hakeem spoke.

"You a bodyguard now nigga?" Armani let out a laugh.

"I hope all is well with him. I just was over my head thinking it was gon work between us." I told him honestly, before Hakeem could respond.

"I respect that." Armani nodded. "Come dance with me,"

Hakeem made a face as Armani held his hand out for mine.

"Why?" I stared at his hand in confusion.