Part 28

Hi everyone!! Thank you for all your comments telling me to update. I know I don't update my stories on a regular basis, but I appreciate everyone who still reads them! There will be 2 more chapters to this story... so be ready!

Make sure to check out my other story: See You in a Minute 

Anyways! Back to the story. Enjoy Part 28!

______________________________________________________

Steve's POV:

Steve and Sam had been gone for a nearly two months trying to find The Winter Soldier. They finally had a lead on him in Germany, where he was keeping a low profile, or so they thought...

They ran back down the corridor, the corridor that was starting to shake and vibrate as the fires spread. Sam swore, looking back at the flaming hell pursuing them. "Shit!" he cried, and Steve grabbed him and pulled him onward. The power winked out, the heat from the inferno behind them reaching long fingers to snatch them. They were faster. The elevator was there, waiting. Sam pressed the up button a few times, but without power, nothing happened. The doors didn't open. "You think we pissed him off?" Sam whispered.

"Back up!" Steve ordered. One massive kick dented the doors enough that he could get his fingers between them. His muscles bulged with the effort as he pulled them apart. "Come on!" He pushed Sam inside.

"Now what?" It was almost impossible to hear Sam over the cacophony of things burning and exploding.

They looked up. It was pitch black above them. Steve pulled his flashlight on his phone free and shined it upward. It was nearly fifty feet to the floor below. "How fast can you climb?" he asked.

"Fast," Sam replied. He got his hand around the cables and hauled himself up. Steve followed, sliding his phone between his teeth for light. The shaft shook wildly, vibrating like it was in the midst of an earthquake. Below them the heat was rising, fire and smoke climbing nearly as fast as they were. They reached the next floor after a few terrible seconds of struggling. Sam was above him, shining his flashlight at the exit. The damn doors were shut. "Steve!"

"What? Do you have eyes on Barnes?" Steve asked as he began hoisting himself around the cables to haul himself down.

"No, I saw him jump out of a window before he set this place to hell." Sam replied as he pulled himself down to the safety shaft.

Something below them detonated with a bang that vibrated their bones. Sam yelped, scrambling for a hold against the force pummeling them. He fought to get his phone back in his pocket before grabbing the ragged edges and pulling them apart. Steve suddenly felt a vibration in his pocket. His phone was ringing. As the left side slid into the wall, it snagged the sleeve of his sweatshirt. Steve tried to wrench his hand loose, but his sleeve was snagged good and tight. He pulled harder and harder. With one last frustrated yank, he was free. His phone must not have been very deeply in his pocket. All the motion jostled it loose. It went flying down the shaft.

"Damn it!" He stared after it with wide, incredulous eyes until he couldn't see it anymore. He didn't hear it hit, not with the fire raging and the building rattling and his own heart booming.

Both Steve and Sam climbed their way down to the first level of the building thru the broken-down elevator. "Let's get the hell out of here," Sam gasped.

______________________________________________________

Natasha's POV:

Twenty minutes had passed before Natasha made up her mind on calling Steve back. She kept going thru possible scenarios of what she'd say to him. Most thoughts ended with her telling him to go to hell and hanging up, but she still needed to hear his voice.

Three rings went by until he finally answered.

"Hey," Steve said in a hushed voice. Him and Sam barely managed to escape Bucky's fiery wrath and got a room at a run-down inn there in Germany.

"Hey?" Natasha said, sounding harsher than she expected. She could feel her cheeks slowly getting warm with anger.

"Look, I'm sorry I wasn't able to get your call earlier. We had a run-in with Barnes, and my phone fell as we were trying to escape." Steve replied.

Natasha could tell by the sound in his voice that he was exhausted and so was she. Between carrying a child and barely getting any sleep for the past couple of months, she was more than exhausted.

Enough with formalities, she thought to herself, she was going to just come out and tell him. Before she could get a word in, Steve started speaking, "I'm sorry for not calling you, Nat, I really am. It hasn't been easy chasing down Bucky, but we're starting---"

"Steve, I'm pregnant," Natasha said, interrupting his apology.

"You're what?" Steve replied

"I'm pregnant, Rogers, and you're the father. I don't how, since the Red Room guaranteed my inability to get pregnant with the so-called graduation ceremony," Natasha said as her voice trailed, "I guess the super solider serum is really super."

"How long have you known?" Steve said, his voice in disbelief

"About three months." Natasha replied

"Who knows?" Steve replied, more coldly than Natasha was expecting.

"Just you and Clint."

Silence

"Look, Clint figured it out when I was throwing up at The Capitol, where I was defending you and your actions, while your out god knows where, trying to find your old pal." Natasha replied as her eyes began to water, "I needed you, and you weren't here for me."

Silence again

"Steve?" Natasha took the phone from her ear and looked at it. There was a notification that read the call had been disconnected.