Part 18

She wasn't left alone with him for long. The door to the room opened, and Nick Fury stepped inside. Natasha turned wearily and faced him, not making any move to hide the fact that her eyes were red and her cheeks were still wet, that she had Steve's hand enfolded in her own, that she was crushed and lost and so very low. Fury's face was impassive, an emotionless frown tight on his lips. But she knew him too well not to see the sorrow, the confusion and anger and disappointment. The regret. "I want to know what happened," he softly said. She wasn't certain if that was an order from her commanding officer or a request from a man that, on occasion, she considered a friend. "I want to hear it from you."

Surprisingly she was calm and composed when she responded, but she never looked up to Fury in the eyes. "I already told you what happened."

"Well I don't know if the committee will believe that 'Steve was at the wrong place at the wrong time bullshit your giving me." He said raising his voice. Fury was obviously frustrated. His good eye was popping more than usual lately.

Natasha was slow to respond. She didn't need this. She didn't want to talk to someone who didn't believe her when she said the truth. "Whether you believe me or not, that's what happened."

Fury began to soften up with his tone,
"The Council wants you arrested for attempted murder. And they're not the only ones. Most of the STRIKE Team is behind them. Pierce is behind them. And if Rogers dies..." Fury's eye darted to Steve's comatose body. "I don't think I can protect you if we lose him."

She felt every muscle in her body tense. Suddenly it was difficult to breathe. All of the countless murders she'd committed. Robberies and arsons and massacres... The hypocrisy of it all was astounding. She'd committed endless atrocities at Brushov's side in her youth, but those had been overlooked because she was the best spy and assassin in the world and SHIELD had needed her. But now that she had shot Captain America (which was nothing to cast aside, for sure), she was damaged goods. She was expendable. And they want her chained and locked up and punished for this one act. "Don't worry about it, Fury. He's Captain America, right?" Natasha tried to put together a smirk.

Make sure to check out this romanogers/ I don't even know what account... But it looks interesting! So check it out for a good laugh... Trust me ...you'll laugh creeper_van69 creeper_van69