Part 20

Once Steve got onto Fury's floor, the elevator opened and some eyes went on him, but others glanced then looked away quickly. Steve figured Fury had sent her off on more missions. Probably with a new partner. Steve shook the thought of Natasha being reassigned off his mind, and approached the door to Fury's office. Steve thought about knocking, but ended up walking in unannounced.

"Well come on in." Fury said with a sarcastic tone, standing up from his chair.

You can't do this," he firmly said as he barged into Fury's office. The Director was seated at his desk, the massive screens on the other side of the room displaying a slew of images concerning the world's worst terrorists and criminals. He turned at Steve's entrance and regarded him coolly, having the computer pause in its analysis. Steve fought to keep the grimace from his face as he walked closer, fought to keep his body from trembling and his stride strong. Cold sweat beaded on his brow and across his back, but he ignored the uncomfortable shiver tickling him and stood tall. "You can't let her do this."

"You should be in the med bay," Fury said sternly, not at all convinced by his display.

"To hell with that," Steve snapped. "You can't send her out there! She's not ready."

That's Agent Romanoff's decision," the Director returned matter-of-factly. He shut down his computer screens around his desk and leaned back in his chair. Behind him the evening was gray, the DC skyline coated in thick, soupy, gloomy clouds. A few wayward droplets of rain splattered against the windows. "And I'm not ordering her out there. She wants to work. She asked for the missions. I have plenty to give her."

Steve released a breath that was shakier than he liked. "She asked," he repeated incredulously. "And you think she's thinking straight? After everything she's been through."

"I think Agent Romanoff can make her own choices," Fury responded, not appreciative of Steve's harsh tone. "And I think her choices are her own business, not mine and not yours."

You want to sit?" he asked, gesturing to one of the leather chairs in front of his desk. Steve glanced at it, part of him adamantly wanting to remain standing as a show of his obstinacy and strength. However, everything from his sore left leg to his tender abdomen to his throbbing back told his ego he was being absolutely stupid and demanded that he rest, so he sank gingerly into the chair. "I'm sorry about deceiving you. Secretary Pierce wanted the serum. He wanted to neutralize it before it became a problem. That's why I had her do the separate mission."

"But why all the secrecy? Couldn't have you just told me what she was doing, instead of having her go behind me back on a mission that I'm leading?" Steve tightened his jaw. He had a feeling what fury would say. "Well Agent Romanoff is very flexible with what I need done." That ticked Steve off, "how do you expect me to lead a mission, when the people I'm leading have missions of their own?"

Fury stared at him for a second, "I played it strategically because I had to. I'd tell you I had no choice."

"No choice," Steve repeated. "I suppose you also had no choice when you lied about me waking up from a coma to drop the charges against Natasha."

Fury didn't so much as blink. "Would you have pressed charges?"

"No, I wouldn't have. But that's not the point. Once you start compromising, even with good intentions in your heart, it gets harder and harder to stop. Once you start looking the other way and turning a blind eye, it gets harder to see anything clearly. And suddenly you're down a road you never meant to walk wondering how the hell you got so far away from what you wanted."

"I don't need a lecture from you."

"You put me in an impossible situation. I had to lie."

"I wasn't about to let the Council make an example out of Romanoff. I had no options and no time, so I did what I could. Nobody got hurt."

" Look Fury,  I joined SHIELD because I believed you were doing the right thing. I still want to believe that, Nick. But if I find you're not, I won't just walk away. I'll take a stand. And I'll take the whole thing down."

He expected anger. But Fury only looked at him in sad understanding. "Is that a threat?"

"It's a promise."

At that, Steve walked out. He kept himself tall and straight until he got out into the hallway. And then he took three steps and sagged wearily, leaning against the wall. He drew a deep breath, gathering his composure and rising above the pain, lingering for a moment as his heart pounded. After what felt to be a long time, he stood straight again. He walked down the hall and rounded the corner toward the elevator.

And then he ran right into Natasha

(This was a little longer than I expected for it to be, but hey holla! More reding😂 anyways make sure to check out creeper_van69 creeper_van69 )