XIII: Blue Dog: Earl of Phantomhive

Start from the beginning

I let my hair down.

I knew it would at least help me feel a little warmer on this cold morning. I walked out from my room and went up the stairway to the second floor.

I went to the room in between the stairwell and the loft. Then, knocked on the door.

"Ariel, it is me. Open the door," I said.

As the door opened, I saw Ariel wiping her tears from her eyes with a handkerchief.

They can cry?

"I'm very sorry about last night," I apologized.

I looked up and put my hand on her left cheek. She nodded. I guess I was already forgiven. I removed my hand from her face and held her hand.

"Why do you still weep?," I asked as tears began to emerged from her eyes.

Was it because of Adrian? Did something happened while I was unconscious?

"It's nothing. I am happy that you are well," she said but I heard a hesitation in her voice.

She is lying. Something did happen last night. I feel like I'm being left behind in the shadows. So many hidden mysteries and my eyes are starting to uncover them.

***

After Ariel helped me get ready for the day, I waited in the morning room.

The door opened and Adrian brought my brunch.

He laid the meal on the desk while making sure to avoid my eyes. I stared at him while he placed them.

Not a single word.

Only the desk separated both of us.

If I stand up and walked to him, he will go to the door before I could I reach him. I guessed you leave me no choice.

I looked around the table and leapt, careful not to spill anything, and took hold of the fabric of his suit as he was about to leave.

"Please, talk to me. I know I was at fault and I apologized," I said as I looked at his back. I waited for seconds. He turned around and carried me off the table and into the nearest couch.

He knelt in front of me and looked up.

"You are important to me and I can't bear to lose you," he said as he stroked my cheek.

What does he mean? Like a little sister? We are family. Now and forever. Forever?

"I understand Adrian. I will take good care of myself from now on," I lied and stood up from the couch.

I can't promised you that I will never do the same thing again.

I went back to my desk to eat my meal. I need to ask him about last night.

"By the way, this just came in recently," he said as he showed me a letter with a seal that I did not recognize.

He handed it to me, but from the look on his face, he doesn't want me to have it.

I took it and waited as he left the room.

The seal has a shield with scepter in the middle and two eagles guarding it.

Could this person related to the monarch? Or working for the Queen?

I opened the letter with the knife. I saw that it was an invitation for Madame Red's funeral.

I looked at the signature and it said, Earl of Phantomhive.

He is the new Earl.