Chapter 18

Every little step I take
You will be there
Every little step I make
We'll be together

1991, New York
Queensbridge

Lyric Jackson

I had to be awake for at least 10 minutes, but I couldn't move. Nasir has me enveloped in his arms, with his tight ass grip and bear hug. I took notice of his features; his mole right next to his nose & his long eyelashes to the arch of his eyebrows.

He held me close, but I fell asleep in his arms so it didn't really bother me.

I moved my index finger across his chest, tracing the large tattoo with a name of girl. If I could I'd probably stare at him all day, he made me feel safe just like Korey.

"Mornin' beautiful," I quickly pulled my hand away from his chest, while his face held a goofy smile. His face was inches away from mine.

"You got morning breath, ewwww," I pushed his head away while he laughed. I sat up thinking about the events from yesterday.

Why would Monica do that? To me out of all people?

"Today is all about you," I felt him wrap his arms around my torso from behind, "don't think about them. You'll see them later & we can settle that later. I'll be with you every step of the way"

I softly smiled while my heart beat slowly increased.

"You hungry?" He asked while I nodded, fixated on the tattoo. Whose name is that?

"It says Gold-hearted, my friend Goldie had a daughter and named her Silver. She always said 'My name might be Silver but I have heart filled with gold'," he paused, while clutching his chest. He must've caught me staring at his chest.

"You don't have to continue if you don't want to," I muttered, I hated painful memories. I shouldn't pry into people's lives.

"No it's okay. I loved the little girl," he said while I nodded, "It's like she was my own daughter, but she said that every day, and the day she didn't say it, I didn't see her. Her home got shot up in a police raid & they weren't even the target, they took a piece of my heart," he muttered looking up at the ceiling, "so I got a tattoo of my guardian angel"

"I'm sorry," I sigh, hugging him.

"It's fine"

That just caused me to hug him harder.

It's okay not to be okay.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

1991, New York
Queensbridge

Korey Wise (I never do boy POV's so *this is rare*)

All I feel is hate & regret. Imagining a life without her is impossible. It's all surreal. It's a foreign feeling, that's why I try to avoid arguments with her. I can't lose her. I was always told that love isn't forever & love is just a distraction. But if she's my distraction, I won't mind.