Chapter 4

We just wanted to hang out.

We can still hang out.

In jail.

Lyric Jackson

"Baby girl, close ya' eyes," I closed them, holding Korey's hand, his hands felt warm. And he smelled like honey. He held me close while I slowly walked.

"Quit playing Korey where are we?" I opened my eyes while he smiled, smacking his lips, "you weren't supposed to open them" he shoved the teddy bear in my face.

"You said you wanted to go to Coney, so I took you baby girl," he wrapped his arm around shoulder while we ran towards the rollercoasters.

"Wise choice Korey," I stuck out my tongue, kissing his cheek. This was all too good to be true. "I get it, Korey Wise, you not slick," he kissed my cheek.

"One day I'll take you here, for real," he smiled, planting kisses all over my face. What do you mean for real?

"Wake up, they said we're going to juvie, I say let's just hop down the fire escape," I groaned while Dmirikel shook me, "Girl what?" I wiped my face, closing the blinds before the sun made me blind.

"I'll get y'all out, I promise, they ain't locking y'all up, but they' puttin' y'all in the cell with the others, don't start no drama," my momma smiled giving us our hot plates. She was so strong, and she knows we wouldn't do that, we couldn't rape someone let alone even touch someone like that. She took the situation easy but I knew she was hurting on the inside.

"Hurry it up!" I heard the guy yell, I rolled my eyes, doing the handshake with my sister.

"You can motherfucking wait for my daughter! Don't rush them," my mom tilted her head, making us laugh, she always lightened the mood, "take yalls time in here baby," she winked at us, "I'll go mess with this cop in my livin' room"

_____________________________________

Megan Mc'Coy

"You lied on us," I felt Rose push, Yusef grabbed her arms trying to get Rose away from me. Monica wasn't on either side, she told that we were in the park, and didn't even get hurt

"You little bitch! I'll kill you, just wait Megan, wait til' Dmirikel & Lyric get here," she gritted her teeth at me. I felt bad. But it want my fault, he told me I could go home after.

"Calm it down," the guard said pushing Lyric & Dmirikel in, they all looked around, looking at Yusef, Kevin, Antron, and Raymond.

"Where's Korey?" Lyric asked, the bitch was always worried about him, not us. Not ever.

"They put him with the adults, I don't know why," Yusef gulped, while Dmirikel glared at us, "why you say we raped that girl Megan?"

"He said I'd get to go home," I looked away, "it's not my fault, don't be-"

"We were all scared Dmirikel, call down baby," he kissed her, rubbing her knuckles. He really made her whole, I wish I could be as happy as them. Lyric sobbed in the corner. While Yusef rubbed Rose's face, she had a bad black eye.

"When we get outta' here I want some Kennedy's, y'all down?" Kevin tried lightening the mood, we lowly laughed, "stop crying Lyr', Korey's gonna be okay, I promise," Dmirikel tossed a coin in the air, if she didn't stop crying I was gon' gut her like a fish. I hated seeing her cry but it was annoying.

"Yeah, and then I'll pay for some seafood at Kennedy's and you can nag Korey for his French fries like you usually do," Rose smiled holding her hand out, why couldn't I be in the close knitted friendship they had? Why was I always the outcast?

"You know you love the seafood, girly," they did a handshake while I glared at them, pulling my Tommy Hilfiger jacket over my braids. 3rd Avenue was a place we had fun, so many memories were there, but now it seems like it's fading away.

Me and Monica sat next to each other, eyeing the trio. They unofficially kicked us out the group; to them we were probably nothing. That's where lying gets you.

6 Months Later

Rose Smith

I sat next to Dmirikel & Lyric, we'd been here for for 6 months. Monica & Megan had got out on bail and left us here to rot. Lyric didn't wanna stress her mom out with bail money for the both of them so I stayed with them.

Like a true friend, on Piru, I wasn't going to just leave them. People haven't been messing with us, it's only Black and Mexicans in here and they believe we didn't do it.

A couple of white girls tease Dmirikel sometimes but Lyric handles it most of the time.

Crossroads Juvenile Detention Center seemed like recess on steroids, it wasn't that bad and money gave you power.

Yusef wrote to me as soon as he got out, we couldn't communicate with people from other Juvenile centers but since Korey was in adult jail, Lyric could write him.

"Give it back!" Lyric whined while Dmirikel took the letter out of her hands, "I miss you Korey, stay safe my love, I promise you-" she mocked while I read the rest of it. They were like two lovebirds, stuck in a cell.

"I'll see you in a while big head," I made kissy noises while she blushed, going under Dmirikel's bed, pulling out another letter.

"DEAR RAYMOND! You're the honey to my bee, the flower, TO MY POLLEN, the chicken to Kennedy's-" she snatched paper while I laughed.

"Invasion of privacy"