Chapter 1

1989 New York

Pimps with car phones.

Moms worked 9 to 5's.

Daddy wasn't there, we figured he would never show.

Drug dealers had beepers.

Rap battles gave us swag.

Crackheads swarmed the streets.

This was the end of a new beginning. PERIOD.

_____________________________________

Lyric Jackson

"Baby?"

"Quit callin' me baby Korey," I hesitated. The rap battles were about to begin any minute and Korey kept buggin' me about some damn Chicken. Dmirikel smirked from around the corner, my little sister always trolled me, she always snitched when I was near that block where the raps started because momma didn't want me rappin' or near them sweet-talking thugs in the first place.

"How come you never hungry?"

"How come you always hungry?" I retorted, while Korey wrapped laid his arm on my shoulder. I kept clearing my throat hopping he would get the message that my moms didn't like it when I was around guys, and Dmirikel would go snitch.

As if she wasn't with Raymond all the time.

"I eat at school, and if you came to school, you'd know" Korey always ditched, I'd usually throw small pebbles at his window to wake him up but since we moved. I hadn't had a way to get to his house early enough to wake him up.

Last time I was late. Moms embarrassed me in front of the whole crew. I mean everyone, including Rose, Monica, and Megan.

Our group sounded like a R&B music group.

"Well, I was waiting for you to get out of school so we could eat together," Korey flicked the middle of my forehead, causing me to blush.

My stomach flipped.

"Please baby, let's go get us some Kennedy's," he smiled tugging my arm.

Why did I always fall for his antics.

Dmirikel Jackson

"Raymond," I giggled while he planted kisses on my shoulder, "don't leave a mark you're going to get me in trouble," I wiggled away from him.

"Ain't we going to this party? Why y'all cuddled up?" Raymond's friend asked, causing us to laugh, we weren't in a rush. I heard a faint boom box catching all of our attention. A big mob of black people walking down the street.

"DMIRIKEL! C'mon!" I saw Rose, Monica, and Megan wave at me.

"Yo' they wilding, cmon baby lets go," he laughed, tugging my hand while we joined the group. Rose started making kissy faces, I put my face in Raymond's shoulder, I hated when they teased me.

"Where's Lyric?" Monica yelled over the speaker, all these black people together, it smelled musty. And I wasn't gon' let these project niggas mess up my perfume so I started spraying it everywhere like I was pepper spraying somebody.

"Probably fucking with KOREY!" Rose laughed waving her red bandanna.

I swear that girl is going to get shot up one day.

She repped Piru like she was born from the color red.

"They're so cute! I swear, Kevin keeps playing games with me," Megan whined, wrapping her arms around Rose.

"Yusef cool with me," Rose shrugged, Yusef was graduating this year at the top of his class along with Rose. She might do dumb shit, but when it comes to academics, that girl is the embodiment of the word intelligent.

"Yusef!" Rose yelled after him, "I'll catch y'all later, I gotta go see my boo!" She squealed, leaving us.

Yusef ass was whipped with a thug girl named Rose.

Lyric Jackson

"Gimme some food," I leaned over taking his French fries. He licked his lips while he watched me slowly eat my food. Me and Korey were on top of the world.

"I thought you wasn't hungry"

"I'm hungry now," I playfully pushed him.

"Okay, I said, 'Baby girl, you hungry?' You said, 'No'"

"I know what I said Korey," I took another French fry, "and I changed my mind," I kissed him on his cheek.

"There you go taking all my food," I rolled my eyes, taking another French fry while he bit into his chicken. Just watching him eat makes me happy. Me knowing that he isn't hungry, helps not worry about him as much.

Yusef started banging on the window, startling us.

"Let's go to the park! Let's go!"

"I thought you was hungry, you can't just leave Korey," me and him barely spend time together and then here he is running off to the park again with his friends.

"I'll be a few minutes, baby girl," he grabbed his jacket, pecking me on the cheek, "Five minutes baby!" I ran after him, smacking my lips.

I thought you wanted to spend time with me

Megan Mc'Coy

"Kevin!" I yelled seeing him, he smiled at me, if everyone else was going to be coupled up, I was too.

He continued running causing me to roll my eyes. I guess I'll just hang out with the girls.

"Well Well Well! Isn't it the fabulous Lyric!" Monica started teasing Lyric, I joined in too.

"Is that a hickey! I'm telling momma!" Dmirikel laughed while we all looked at Lyric's neck. They were in trouble either way. The street lights were on and it was getting dark.

"You was getting the dick?" Rose laughed while Monica scowled, she was like the big sister of the group since she was 17.

"You bet not be havin' no sex," Monica threatened, we all knew Lyric didn't do that. She was too much of a princh to do shit like that anyways. We started talking about stuff for about 15 minutes, we definitely needed to go shopping, the gang was back.

"Yo' that white man's getting Jumped!" Rose ran up to the fight causing us all to run towards her. She liked action a little bit too much.

"Yo' it's 12, let's go!" I started dipping while they all started running with me. We weren't fools, we ran from the police multiple times. I felt sorry for Monica, she was a little out of shape. And once we start running we never look back, that's the motto.

"I knew we shouldn't have had came to the park!" Rose yelled! I rolled my eyes, no one told her she had to come, plus she was just wasting her breath.

2 down, 3 more to go.

_____________________________________

A/N: I saw a similar book so I wanted to create my own.

How was it?

3 comments?

3 likes? For next chapters