Chapter 14

Excuses. Excuses.

I'm sorry.

1991 Queens, NY
Queensbridge

Dmirikel Jackson

"I want you to stop hanging with that nigga' and get dressed!" I rolled my eyes, popping the bubble gum in my mouth. Ma walked in with Dejah hand in hand. They were dressed as if she was going to a job interview or worst. Sunday School.

"You told me to fold clothes? Now I'm foldin' clothes," I snapped my head at her. She kept treating me like I was her slave and things were harder to handle without Lyric helping me. I walked Dejah to school every morning, washed dishes, took out the trash, cleaned the living room, while handling a 9 to 5, school work, and my relationship.

"Have you lost yo' damn mind," she edged towards me, "I put you in this world, I'll take yo' ass out, keep fucking with that nigga D! And you'll be outside," she referred to Raymond, roughly pushing me back onto the stack of clothes. Ever since her job let her go, she's been taking it out on me. As if it was my fault her ditsy ass couldn't keep a job.

"But ma- I love Ra-"

"Niggas don't love you, where's ya dad? Huh?!"

She rubbed her face in agony. It was her fault we didn't have a close relationship with our dad, she pushed him away, she tried threatening him with large amounts of money that she knew he didn't have. When we saw him at the corner store he'd always hug us for the longest he could, buying us things and promising to take us to amusement parks and he did.

He was a man of his word.

I just wish he had spent more time with us.

"Just get dressed," she pulled out a cigarette, yanking Dejah out of the room and slamming the door.

Why did this shit happen to me?

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Why you dressed like you goin' to church," Megan laughed wearing her crop top and high waisted shorts. I lowered my eyes at her, she knew the reason. Mom loved looking and being "holier than thou". It was the only thing that kept her humble.

"Girl-look at Nasir," Megan smiled at the rapper wearing a Yankees jersey and a silver chain. Why was he here? I don't even know why we're here, I thought we were going to church. But ma always kept me out of the limelight, looking clueless.

"He aight," I muttered, watching Raymond enter the building in a crisp suit with his dad. "But he ain't, Ray fine as shit," I walked up to him wrapping my arms around him despite my moms presence.

Strike one.

"You look like a baby," Raymond laughed, while my face squished against his shoulders.

"And you look like a pimp in distress"

"What did I say D?" My mom smirked behind me while Yusef, Antron, and Kevin entered with their parents. Raymond already knew my mom wasn't really fond of him but with Lyric and Korey it was a different story. She loved Korey she treated him like he was her son in law.

"I can't wait til' Lyric gets here!" Dejah bounces up and down, receiving compliments from all of the parents.

She's coming back?

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

1991 Queens, NY
Queensbridge

Rose Smith

"Are you guys really going in there like that?" I glanced at Lyric and Korey, they both had black durags on while Korey had an orange long sleeve on with black pants and Reebok's. Lyric had on a orange bodycon dress, a black cardigan with Reebok's. To say the least, they looked adorable.

"Hell yeah," the said in unison while Monica started doing a random dance. This all felt surreal.

"Rose Quintanilla!" Monica kissed my cheek placing red lipstick over my makeup. I glared at her in annoyance, while she pinched my cheeks, "you're so cute, if I was gay, I would date you"

"I would never want your goofy ass"

"I'm appalled," she opened her mouth in shock while I focused on getting this red lipstick off of my face.

"You niggas finished," Tupac laughed popping his collar outside of the door, "y'all can go in n-"

"Now," he muttered while Lyric & Korey dipped inside of the room with all of our family members.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Lyric Jackson

"LYRIC!" Dejah ran up to me while I picked her up, she was so cute and adorable. Dejah was heavier than the last time, "I missed you," she hugged me, squeezing me tight.

I missed you too, little butt.

"H-hey sis," I narrowed my eyes at Dmirikel, that no contact shit was out. She knows I would've written her at least twice a week, or once with an explanation. I would've put money on her commissary, I would've visited her at least once a week.

But she probably wouldn't do the same.

"You hear something Dejah?" I playfully looked around, still holding Dejah.

"Nah I don't hear anything"

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

5 likes?

5 comments?

Sorry for the shortness :(