Chapter 5

They found justice from injustice doings.

They painted the crime with black.

They painted it with our faces.

Dmirikel Jackson

Mom had got us the the dopest lawyers and the freshest fits ever. Robert L. Carter, a civil rights activist, he was in many cases involving Thurgood Marshall. And Angela Davis, the girl who rocked her Afro, she was well known in the black community.

 And Angela Davis, the girl who rocked her Afro, she was well known in the black community

Rose's mom had her dressed like she was the black Selena. I had a black silk dress while Lyric had a dark blue one on with a blazer.

I couldn't lie and say I wasn't scared. I haven't talked to anyone else in a while. And everything seemed to be happening so fast.

The cameras flashed in our face, "you'll rot in hell" "bring back the death penalty" "these aren't kids these are criminals" I saw all these posters, I ducked my head into Lyric's arm. The microphone was shoved into her face, while she continued looking ahead.

Mom told us not to stop for anything until we got inside.

"Do you have any words?" The reporter frowned in her face while my sister held the microphone, "Whether it's today, or tomorrow, or a year from now, we will get justice," she held up her fist walking away.

We got inside and everyone piled in the court room. This was going to go by fast, Megan and Monica looked at us, all they had was a public defender.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, you will see that Yusef Salaam, Antron McCray, and Raymond Santana, we're among a group of 30 young men and women, to rob, beat, and attack innocent New Yorkers"

We just wanted to have fun, we don't even rob people, at-least I didn't, I couldn't take from someone else because I knew that it would hurt if others took from me.

We wouldn't beat on random people?

"They are charged with attempted murder, assault, sodomy, battery, rape, sexual abuse and assault with a deadly weapon against Patricia Meili," she glanced at me, "you will see video statements from Antron McCray, Raymond Santana and Megan Mc'Coy on how they participated in the rape"

"Let me remind you," Angela stood up, "they questioned these young, black teenagers, for 48 hours, no food, no water, them not knowing if they could go home, no closure provided"

"Amen!" Someone shouted causing me to giggle, she sounded like a preacher but she told the truth.

"They did these investigations without an adult present, without a parent nor guardian," she pointed at Lyric and Rose, "the young lady on the left, a detective, punched her nose, and left scratches over her face," she handed the judge evidence of the injuries.

"They gave, Rose Smith, a black eye, for not wanting to talk without her mother present, they threatened her, verbally, treating her like an animal, not a human being" the court clapped.