Chapter 26: Escape

You entered the circus tent. Jerome's followers dragged Bruce away and you couldn't follow him. Other goons grabbed your arms and dragged you to Jerome's 'dressing room'. He was changing into a showman uniform. You sat down in a chair, glaring daggers into Jerome's back. He stared at you through his vanity mirror. His goons stood next to him.

"Where are you taking Bruce?" You asked as Jerome finished buttoning his vest.

"Are we seriously going to talk about Bruce when we have a moment to ourselves?" Jerome turned to you, arms out as one of his followers slipped a red jacket on him. "That's a bit harsh, don't you think?"

You rolled your eyes, crossing your legs and arms. "We're not exactly alone, are we?" You gestured toward his goons.

"Hmm. Good point". Jerome sat on a chair and began to put on long black boots. "But don't worry, dear, our friend Bruce is just getting ready for the show".

"You mean for his execution". You stared at Jerome. He had stood up, walking up to you.

"Come on, babe". He offered his hand to you. You glanced at it like it was foreign. "Let's get you ready too".

"Oh?" You smirked. "Are you going to kill me too?"

"Of course not." Jerome smiled as you took his hand, wrapping your arm around his. "You're going to be my beautiful showgirl"

You went to another section of the tent, a thigh-high red leather dress, black fishnet stockings, and white elbow-length gloves were laid on top of a vanity table. Knee-length black high wedge boots were placed beside a chair. Jerome had ordered his goons to leave, while he sat down on another chair. You turned to him. "You're not going to wait outside?"

"Oh, don't mind me". Jerome pulled out his pocket knife and began to play with it. "I'm just going to sit here quietly while you change. Hope you don't mind"

"Not at all". You turned back around. Jerome whistled as he played with his knife. He glanced at you as you began to take off your clothes and change. You sensed his stare, but you didn't do anything. It sent chills down your spine. But you continued to keep your calm and change into the outfit he picked out for you.

The moment you had the stockings and dress on, Jerome stood up and walked up to you. You jumped at the sudden feeling of his touch. Turning to him, you were a bit surprised to see how close the two of you were. Staring into Jerome's eyes, you noticed the serious look he had. He sat you down on the chair, not breaking eye contact with you. He grabbed the white gloves and one of your arms. He slipped the gloves on you. Then, he moved to grab your boots. Without saying anything, he knelt down and also helped you put on the boots. He stared into your eyes when he finished.

You looked into his green eyes. He stroked your cheek, feeling the patch of scales on your skin. It felt warm. It felt as if he wasn't about to kill one of your friends as if he wasn't a murderous cult leader. You hated the fact that you felt safe and comfortable around the maniac. You hated that your heart ached to be closer to him. Closing your eyes, you placed a hand on his, snuggling your head on Jerome's hand. He smiled.

"Come." He got up and held his hand out to you. You reluctantly took it. "It's showtime."

Jerome led you to the part of the tent where the stage was. You noticed Bruce handcuffed to a moving pillar. You rushed to his side as Jerome left to go to the stage. "Bruce!"

"(y/n)" Bruce turned to you, whispering as everyone began the final preparations. "Please tell me you have a plan".

You closed your eyes, only to reopen them to shine a yellow. Everything around you turned into heat signatures. Looking around, you scanned your surroundings, looking for something or someone to help. Nothing.