Chapter 18: Indian Hill

-Unedited-

It's been a couple of weeks since you woke up. You obeyed everything that Doctor Strange and Miss Peabody said. You never left your room, ate whatever they gave you, took your medications, didn't resist when they took you for testing. You were quiet. You never complained. Not even when they forced you into electric-shock therapy nor when the guards beat you up just to see if you would fight back. You didn't do anything. The only time you did speak was when you talked to Shiba.

Because of this, you earned rewards. After coming back from the lab, you would find new things in your room. A better toilet, a mirror, a change of clothes, pairs of shoes, new blankets, books, and magazines. One day, you found two new snakes speaking to Shiba.

Who are you? Shiba hissed, wrapping herself around your feet.

I am Sage. The male spoke. And I am Jade. The female moved toward Siba. You knelt down, hesitant to touch them. "I'm (y/n). Why are you two here?"

The humans said that they want to see how we would respond to you. Sage slithered toward you, Jade followed. They seem to be curious about your abilities. We are too. Glancing at the camera in the corner, you stood up. You walked to your bed, grab a book and laid down. "Do what you want".

As the three snakes slithered around each other, trying to understand and trust one another, you pretended to read the book you held. You were actually listening to the people in the rooms next to you. They were quiet today. A few made small noises here and there, but for the most part, it was peaceful. You would hear doctors, nurses and guards talk about their daily lives and work. You would hear their secrets. The moment the workers left the hall, and your neighbors continued to remain quiet, you began to actually read the book.

Then you began to hear loud noises. You heard footsteps from down the hall. They weren't from any of the workers nor Peabody's or Strange's. Walking up to the door, you peeked through the small sliding window. You caught a glance of a man with glasses coming down the hall. He wore black and white striped clothing.

The man reached your door, you could hear his heart beating fast out of fear. He had his back to you, turning his head each direction. You lifted the small broken food door, reaching out your hand to grab his arm. He jumped and turned your direction. Your eyes shined a bright yellow as you stared directly into his. His heart began to beat even faster. You could tell that he wanted to scream.

"Leave" You hissed, letting go of him. He ran away from your door. You could hear him go down the hall and run out of your reach of hearing. Sighing, you went back to your bed. Well, that was new.

A few days passed since the day that man entered the building. Since that day, you began to have migraines. Your eyes hurt as you began to have flashes of your dream again. It was the same thing over and over again. Sage and Jade have bonded to you by now, creating an alliance with Shiba. So when they saw you in pain, they began to panic. Shiba tried soothing you, Jade hissed loudly for the guard to hear, and Sage slithered back and forth around you. Whenever a guard or worker came close to you, you even began to fight back against their hold causing the snakes to bite them. That was when they decided to call Strange and Peabody down to check up on you.

The door opened, you didn't look up. Miss Peabody stood by the door as Strange kneeled down in front of you. He reached for your shoulders, pausing as the snakes hissed loudly. You held your head in your hands. "What is the matter, (y/n)?"

"Who am I?" You mumbled. No response. "Why am I here? Why can I hear the snakes and everything around me? Why do I have patches of scales on my skin? Why am I starting to see heat signatures?"

You turned to face them. All of the questions you had about yourself from the moment you woke up began to rise. You were scared. It felt as if you were drowning with each passing day. It was suffocating. You needed to know. "What happened to me?"

They shared a glance. Strange turned to you, placing his hands on your shoulder, the snakes hissing. He spoke in a soft voice. "You are the queen of snakes. It does not matter what happened to you, what matters is that you survived"

"And these abilities?" You stared at your hands as if they were a curse given to you."Why do I have them?"

He sighed. You turned to him. "These abilities were always a part of you. I just helped activate them. There is no need to be afraid of them. You have so much potential, it would be a shame to waste such talent. And there is no need to worry, Miss Peabody and I will do everything we can to make sure you're healthy and safe"

Your eyes turned a bright yellow as you listened to the doctor's heartbeat. It was beating a bit faster than usual. You remember reading about how the heart beats just a bit faster when someone lies. He was lying about that last statement. You turned away from him. The snakes began to glare and silently hiss.

"Leave" Your voice was harsh. The snakes rushed to your side, showing their fangs and hissing at the two. Strange stood up and rushed to the door. He wanted to speak to you, wanting to know what upset you, but the snakes were persistent on seeing the two adults out.

After that, you went back to normal. You were obedient, quiet, and stayed to yourself. You continued to talk your snakes, but you were whispering most of the time. Doctor Strange and Miss Peabody didn't mind as long as you did what you were told - but the nurse was more wary of you than the doctor. She wondered what you were thinking as you sat in your room, reading the books that Strange brought you. You were so stoic that it was hard to tell if you had any emotions anymore.

Then it happened. You were just reading your book, hearing the conversations the snakes were having when guards stormed your room. They grabbed the snakes, putting them in cages, and put a bag over your head. You felt them cuff you and drag you outside. You heard the other inmates grunting and yelling.

You were pushed into what you think is a truck. Although you had a bag over your head, you were still able to see the heat signatures of those around you. There were a lot of these people. You heard a hiss next to you. Feeling relieved that your snakes were next to you, you felt a bit more relaxed. Then you waited in the truck for what seemed like half an hour.

You heard the car start. You figured that Strange and Peabody must have decided to transfer all of you somewhere new. You thought nothing of it. That was until the car crashed. You heard the door open and the bag on your head was removed. A woman with two different colored eyes - one brown, the other a bright blue- stood in front of you. Her presence was intimidating and powerful. She glanced at you for a mere second, before moving on.

She didn't pay much attention to you. She continued to free the others from their restraints. You went to grab the snakes out of the cage as everyone followed the woman out. As you walked out, you saw the woman staring at a man. He wore a suit and had spiky black hair. He froze in shock after seeing the woman. Then he fell.

Confused as to what exactly is happening, you stayed by the car. A part of you wanted to follow the rest, another wants to stay behind out of fear. Looking at the woman, you sensed something else about her. She held herself with dignity, but you could tell that if she does not get things done her way, she'll do whatever she can to get it. It frightens you.

The crowd moved on, following the woman to who knows where. You stayed behind and rushed to the unconscious stranger. "Hey, mister"