Chapter 19: The Penguin

Oswald grunted as he began to wake up. His head was hurting as if he was recovering from a hangover. He stared at Butch, his peaceful stare turning into a glare as he remembered what happened. "Why am I still alive?"

"I don't know" The other man shrugged. "But I do know who brought you".

You were in the study, looking at all the books and knick-knacks that Oswald has. Shiba was wrapped around your shoulder while Jade and Sage were in the corner. The door slammed open, grabbing your attention. You turned around and saw the man you saved last night glaring at you. He stormed up to you. "Who are you?"

You moved your hand, stroking Shiba as if to protect her. "(y/n)".

"Your face..." He noticed your scales. Taking a step back from you, he yelled, "You're one of those monsters aren't you?!"

"Excuse me, I am not a monster". You glared, the snakes began to hiss in defense. "I was the one who brought you to your home when you were unconscious. I could have just left you to get killed by the others."

He stayed quiet. He glanced at Butch. Turning to look at you, he wondered about you. Who are you? Why did you help him? What happened to you? Other questions that you probably don't have the answers to. He glanced at the snakes.

He is wary of you. Sage hissed. Jade raised her body. Should we kill him? Shiba hissed at the two snakes. No, we must see if he is a friend or foe. You listened to the snakes as you stared at the man. "I told you my name, now it's your turn".

"You mean to tell me you don't know who I am?" He scuffed. "I'm the king of Gotham, Oswald Cobblepot"

"I never heard of Gotham or of a king that walks like a penguin". Oswald glared at you as you spoke. "Then again, this is the first time I've been out from my room".

He continued to glare at you. Eyebrows furrowed in suspicion. You walked up to him, eager in your steps. He took a step back. Turning to the door, your eyes shined a bright yellow again. Heat signatures of men outside became visible to you. They were holding weapons. You smirked.

"You have men out the door". You turned to Oswald. "And more outside for protection. From what though? Thieves? Enemies? Me? I wonder..."

"What do you want?" He asked.

"Let me help you". You took a step forward. "I may not know much, but I know what is right and what is wrong. That woman that broke me out, she won't last long. I was the doctor's favorite. I know things that she most likely does not."

"Like what?"

Taking another step, you spoke in a low voice. "I know about our abilities. I know about the so-called 'monsters'. I spent my days in my room, listening to everything and everyone. The doctor gave me books about everything. I can tell when someone is lying. I can sense someone's intentions just by staring at them. That's how I knew that if I stayed with her, there's a huge possibility of me ending up dead. But you, Mr. Cobblepot, you are are different."

"You two seem similar, but you take extra precautions in order to get what you want. You called yourself the king of Gotham, right? Well, she's planning on something that will and could cause you to fall from your high throne and die. And I can tell that you won't let it come to that. That's why you want to stop her."

The snakes followed you as you circled around Oswald. Both him and Butch stared at you as you spoke. You seemed exotic. Your strong seductive stare captivated their full attention. You held yourself together, not wanting to show them any sign of weakness. It caused them to be even more curious about you.

"And what do you purpose?" He spoke. You smirked.

"Allow me to be your spy". You explained. "I will stay with the lady's group and report to you on what she is planning. I'll even help protect you from any of them"