Chapter 19

Author Note's- This chapter was highly inspired by one of my two favorite books of all time, The Hunger Games (the other is Where the Red Fern Grows). I'm sure many of you won't now where I drew my inspiration from. Let me know if you think you now.    : )

CHAPTER 19

Falcon’s scream echoed in the hallway. Is he having a nightmare? Aya thought. Lao once mentioned to her that Falcon would wake up screaming at night, but she never imagined it was this bad.

Doctor Solis left her in charge for the night, but now Aya questioned if that had been a wise decision. She could deal with physical wounds, no problem. Nightmares were another matter.

Another scream, much louder than the first, filled the air. Aya winced. She couldn’t bear to hear him like this.

She snuck into the room. Falcon lay on the bed, looking as peaceful as a baby. She brushed his moist hair back.

All of a sudden Falcon cried out. Her serene moment broken, Aya gasped and pulled her hand away. “Faith, I’ll be back,” He half-spoke, half-yelled.

Faith? Is that his mother’s name?

Falcon’s body jerked uncontrollably. He repeated the name a few more times and then stopped moving.

What do I do? I can’t leave him like this all night. At that exact moment a thought entered her mind. I can’t possibly do that. No, he’ll think I’m crazy.

Aya moved toward the door. As she reached for the handle, Falcon let out a strangled scream. That was enough. She turned back, determined to put her plan in action.

Slowly, Aya climbed on the bed. Her pulse thumped in her ears as she lay next to him. Can he hear it? As soon as she took hold of his hand, his body relaxed. The musky aroma and tender heat of his body washed over her. What am I doing? If he wakes up he’s going to think I’m crazy.In newfound panic, she attempted to get up. Then, without warning, Falcon’s arm came over her and pulled her in. She didn’t fight it. Letting her guard down, she simply lost herself in his embrace. In no time she was fast asleep.

~ ~ ~

Falcon jumped as the door slammed against the wall.

“Was about to ask how your night was, but I see it was quite good,” said Doctor Solis as she shot a wry smile at Aya.

Aya’s cheeks turned a bright pink. “I was just trying to calm him,” she said, jumping off the bed.

“Yeah, that was it,” added Falcon, trying to keep his voice steady. However, unexpectedly waking up next to one of his best friends was making it hard to do that. He was certain his face was as red as Aya’s.

“A simple sedative tea would have sufficed,” countered Doctor Solis. A large smile was still covering her face.

“I’ll remember that next time,” said Aya. Her hands trembled as she fixed her hair into a chopstick bun. “Goodbye, doctor, and ah, you too, Falcon.” She avoided eye contact as she hurried out of the room. Falcon had never seen her so flustered. Then again, he didn’t know what to make of last night either. Was she really just trying to calm me down? Yes, that’s probably it. All we did was sleep, anyway.Whatever it was, there was no time to dwell on it. Graduation day had arrived.