Chapter 13

Chapter 13

The only way across appeared to be a neglected wooden bridge held up by two thin ropes. The bridge rocked dangerously as the wind beat against it. Many of its wood stepping panels were gone, creating large holes in its construction.

Some of the students exchanged nervous glances. Others shuffled back and forth, scanning the horizon for an alternate way across.

“We need an earth wielder to create a stable bridge,” said a male student. “It’s the only way we’re getting across.”

“No,” Falcon said. “The professor said no wielding.”

Elvira rolled her eyes. “Earth wielding is the only way. I’m not walking on that bridge. Look how it’s dangling!”

“No,” said Aya. “This obstacle is meant to test our teamwork and resourcefulness. We have to find a way across without breaking the rules.”

Drusilla glared at Aya with bloodshot eyes. “Listen, Aya, if you want to get yourself—”

Falcon brought up his hand. “Enough arguing. I will test the bridge.”

There was a collection of gasps.

Chonsey looked down the cliff to the river raging below. “Are you sure, mate? That bridge doesn’t look like it could support you.”

Falcon shrugged. “No, I’m not sure, but I will not allow fear to stop me.”

All eyes fell on him as he stepped up to the old bridge. He took in a deep breath and placed his trembling left foot on the first rung.

Nothing.

Hyromi bit her nails. “Be careful!”

Falcon nodded and put his other foot on the bridge. It held, but that didn’t stop his heartbeat from thumping in his ears. He allowed himself a second to catch his breath before moving at a brisk pace. Before crossing, he had judged the bridge to be thirty feet in length, but now that he was on it, it felt much longer. The squeaking planks didn’t help either, serving to slow him to a crawl. But despite its appearance, the bridge held. As soon as he stepped back on land he swallowed, relieving his dry mouth. He signaled for everyone else to join him.

One by one they crossed until a single student remained at the other side of the cliff: Aya.

“What’s taking her so long?” asked Lao. “Don’t tell me she’s afraid of heights.”

Falcon refrained from answering. He saw no use in confirming what was obvious to everyone. He wiped the sweat off his forehead as Aya stepped across the bridge. He didn’t recall being this nervous when he or the other students tested the bridge. But seeing her cross as the air rocked the bridge made his heart thump in his chest. He wanted to run to her. Putting too much weight on the bridge could cause it to collapse, though. Aya clung to both sides of the bridge with fierce determination. She moved at a slow pace, but at least she was making progress. As she made it halfway across the bridge a strong gust of wind shot through the air. The entire bridge shook. Planks of wood fell off and crashed into the river rocks below. Parts of the rope ripped. The bridge dropped about two feet, but held.

Falcon’s world stopped. The bridge was holding, but who knew for how much longer? One more gust of wind could spell disaster.

Aya remained frozen in the middle.

“C’mon, Aya,” cheered Falcon. “You can do it.” With trembling hands she looked up. Her blue eyes met his. “Just a little bit more.”

To Falcon’s surprise, some of the students joined in with encouragement.

“Let’s go,” said Sheridan. “You’re not going to let a bridge that’s older than Grandmaster Zoen stop you, are you?”

“Halfway there. Just a little bit more,” affirmed Victoria Grimmie, a skinny girl who Falcon had seen speaking to Aya from time to time.

Aya’s body shook with each step, but she moved much quicker than before.

Falcon looked over as a sudden crash echoed from the other side of the cliff. Three large figures burst out from the green shrubbery. They appeared to be faceless black blobs from afar. But after narrowing his eyes he realized it was Laars and his teammates Delita, Drusilla and Putin. Their clothes were ragged and scratches marred their faces and arms. Had they run into a wild animal?It sure seemed that way. The four of them rushed toward the bridge as soon as their manic eyes fell on it.

“Stop, you idiots,” said Lao. “It’s too much weight. You will destroy it.”

His words fell on deaf ears. Laars and his team stampeded across the bridge.

Aya shrieked as the bridge ripped in half. Both sides of the bridge crashed onto opposite sides of the cliff, releasing a storm of dust. The sound of wooden planks slamming into the water and rocks below drowned out all other noise.

Falcon’s insides twisted when he caught sight of Aya. She had managed to hold on to one side of the bridge. Laars’ gang dangled from the opposite side. Falcon watched in horror as the old rope holding the bridge to the cliff unraveled.

Laars stretched out his hand.

“Stop, Laars, don’t wield!” Lao yelled.

“I’ll earth wield you to safety, added Falcon. “Stay put.”

The light in Laars emblem intensified to a bright brown.

The ground under the student’s feet thundered as it shattered into hundreds of pieces. Then they all plunged to the raging river below.

Thank you for reading. Don't forget to leave your comments.