Chapter 11

I will be giving away FREE copies of the paperback version of Element Wielder to a few people from my e-mail newletter.

HIROMY- IN this chapter the beatiful water wielder, Hiromy, makes an apperance. Check our her picture over to the right!

Her entire bio can be found on the website.

Chapter 11

Five years later…

Falcon stood in the shower, wiping away the sweat that trickled down his arms. It had been a grueling training session, the way he liked them. Even today, no, especially today on his eighteenth birthday, he’d worked extra hard. There was still so much he hadn’t accomplished.

He emptied one more bucket over his head. The cold water sent shivers through him. He grabbed his towel and dried himself as fast as possible. Even though each shower had a wooden screen that covered them up to their neck, he still didn’t like showering when other students were present. It made him feel uncomfortable. 

He stared at the crimson-collared shirt that all fifth-year students wore, and then slipped it on. He realized this very well could be the last time he put the red shirt on. It all depended on how he did on the upcoming test.

As he walked out of the shower room the same words raced through his head. I will not fail, I will not fail, I will not fail….

~ ~ ~

Falcon opened the door to the dorm room he shared with Lao, Sheridan, and Chonsey. The lamps were off, but judging from the lingering scent of burnt oil, they had just been extinguished. He set his shoes down and tiptoed to his bed, not wishing to wake anyone. The old wooden panels squeaked loudly under his weight.

“Surprise!” came a shout of voices.

Falcon almost jumped out of his skin. “Sheesh!”

The few friends he had at Rohad stood cramped inside the small room. A pile of gift boxes rocked dangerously on the table.

“What’s going on?” asked Falcon. Though he was certain he already knew the answer. Aya and Lao always celebrated his birthday, no matter how many times he told them he didn’t want to.

“Congratulations,” said Hiromy, wrapping him in a sudden hug.

“Oh, thanks.” He returned the hug, though it was not as strong as Hiromy’s had been. Hiromy had chestnut-colored hair and a slender figure. Her wavy hair fell evenly down to her lower back. It reminded Falcon of a waterfall, untamed yet beautiful.

She smiled as she handed Falcon a wielder glove engraved with gold and jade pearls. “Sorry, I can’t stay, but I wanted you to have this.”

Falcon’s jaw dropped, as did those of half the people in the room. The golden glove made Falcon’s current dark glove appear as it belonged to a beggar. “I can’t take this. It must have cost you a fortune.”

She looked at him with eyes that threatened to overflow with tears. Hiromy had always been good at using her looks to get what she wanted, but that wouldn’t work not on him. “Please don’t say that. I spent all day searching for the perfect gift.”

A sense of guilt came over Falcon. I’m such a jerk. Or perhaps I’m not as immune to her charms as I thought.He forced a smile. “If you put it that way, I suppose I’ll take it. It’s a beautiful gift. Thank you, Hiromy.”

“That’s great. I’m so glad you like it. You can even use it in battle, but it’s more for decoration. Besides, using it in public is akin to asking to be mugged.”