3

Spencer panics when he sees Cat. He knows nobody can see him talking to Maeve for her own safety.

Part of him wonders why everything has to be so complicated. He can't have friendships without toxicity; he can't have a girlfriend without some kind of obstacle. This time though, the obstacle is a physical one. Bobby Putnam.

Spencer doesn't like to use harsh language very often, but the only words he feels can describe Bobby are "a piece of shit".

He's been abusing Maeve since they started dating, but she can't leave him. It would make everything so much worse. It wouldn't just be her in danger; it would be everyone that helped her leave him.

The fact that he can't tell anybody about their relationship hurts Spencer more than words can properly describe. His first serious relationship has to be a secret from everybody.

Even JJ.

Cat yells Spencer's name, and he feels Maeve's hand leave his. She walks away quickly, leaving Spencer alone with a borderline psychopath.

"Hey! I've been looking for you!" Cat exclaims. Spencer takes a deep breath.

"Hey," he mutters.

Maeve gives Spencer a small smile from a few dozen feet away before turning around and walking home.

"So.." Cat starts. She looks down at the pavement below her, kicking a rock into the gutter. "Our first rehearsal is tomorrow. Do you want to come to my house and practice our lines?"

"I don't really need help memorizing," Spencer shrugs.

"Why?" Cat asks. She almost sounds offended.

"I have an eidetic memory," Spencer says.

"Eidetic?"

"Yeah- photographic, pretty much. I'm running late," Spencer mutters. "I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Sure," Cat says sourly. She bites her lip as she watches him leave, knowing full well that he has nothing to be running late for.

-

JJ is trying to force herself to read a book for school when Aaron calls her. She answers, thankful she has an excuse to stop reading what must be the most boring book every written.

"JJ? Are you free this weekend?" Aaron asks.

"Yeah, why?" JJ replies.

"Okay, I know you aren't crazy about camping, but it's my birthday and-"

"You planned a birthday camping trip? Why can't we just, I don't know, go to the mall?"

"Where's the fun in that?" Aaron asks. "It's the woods! We can do whatever we want. It'll be fun."

"Is your mom coming?"

"Nope. I'm driving us. It'll just be me, you, Emily, and Spence if he starts answering my calls."

"What about Penelope?"

"She has a date with her computer," Aaron laughs. JJ isn't surprised.

"I can call Spence right now," she says. Aaron thanks her and she calls Spencer.

He's already home, and softly closes the door to his room before answering. "JJ?"

JJ gets right to the point. "What are you doing this weekend?"

"This weekend?" Spencer asks. "Probably nothing."

"You're coming with us on a camping trip, okay?"

"I- what?" Spencer asks.

"Do you have a sleeping bag?"

"A sleeping bag? JJ, I don't even own shorts." JJ laughs.

"I have one you can borrow. So, you're in, right?"

"Sure," Spencer sighs. Honestly, he would take any opportunity he could to get away from home.

A/N: this SUCKS but I have writer's block okay

Word count: 547