(New) Chapter 6: Through the Fire and the Flames

Start from the beginning

        Yeeeaaahhhh... about that... I only know... what, three, four people? I don't know about that one, chief... (Y/N) stated mentally.

       "That being said," the headmaster said, continuing once more all the while breaking (Y/N)'s train of thought, "the first person you make eye-contact with after landing will be your partner for the next for years."

       Alarm bells sounded in (Y/N)'s head as his brain called for General Quarters. The young soldier didn't know what to think. Making eye-contact with someone equals partner for four years? Something ain't right.

      "After you've partnered up," Ozpin said, "make your way the northern end of the forest. You will encounter opposition along the way. Do not hesitate to destroy everything in your path... or you will die."

       Scattered voices ran through the students while (Y/N) checked his ammunition count.

       "You will be monitored and graded through the duration of your initiation, but our instructors will not intervene," Ozpin explained, "you will find an abandoned temple at the end of the path containing several relics. Each pair must choose one and return to the cliff. You must guard the relic in order to be graded. Now, any questions?"

          A voice in the background responded to the headmaster, though perhaps not quite hearing, Ozpin continued.

        "Good," he stared firmly, "now take your positions!"

         Prompted by his words, everyone at (Y/N)'s sides readied themselves, then one by one, each person was flung off the cliff.

        "Oh shi-" (Y/N) was cut off abruptly when he too was sent hurtling through the air towards certain death. Flailing slightly to regain control and to attempt to gain a controlled fall, (Y/N) ended up igniting his flame 'Semblance', for lack of better words, and jabbed his arms below him. In response to his arms pointing downwards, the flames shot out and provided the airborne soldier a rudimentary break-fall technique. Despite using his powers however, (Y/N) didn't feel as if he spent any of his energy, which was a great thing.

         Looking around and observing his surroundings, the young soldier began to flashback to when he was in the forest outside of Vale. Panting slightly in fear, (Y/N) eventually snapped out of it when he realized that he needed to get a partner. And he needed to get one quick.

          "God! Damnit! Why couldn't we get fucking parachutes, we don't have wings or some shit like that," (Y/N) grumbled to himself as he unslung his rifle and flicked off the safety.

          A silent 'Oh well,' was heard as the Canadian ran off, deeper into the woods in search for a partner.

         He didn't have to look far for one, however...

         Hearing scuffling and flesh being severed to his left, (Y/N) pushed through the shrubbery to see a Grimm known as a Beowolf just about ready to pounce on a katana wielding girl. The teen unsheathed his knife, leapt into the air and plunged 'Midnight' deep into the monster's cranium.

        "Off to bed with ya!" (Y/N) said as the corpse began to disintegrate.

        The soldier, knife in hand, then turned around and leapt into the fight, stabbing at skulls, slashing at throats and jabbing at eyes. A sudden gunshot at his side made the operator flinch and lose focus for a second. When he refocused, he saw the Beowolf that would've jumped him, crumbling to dust.

         "Thanks," (Y/N) told the unidentified girl, suddenly realizing what situation he had found himself in, "so... I guess we're partners now. Uh, anyways, I'm (Y/N)...."