Freedom

"If I got rid of my
demons, I'd lose my
angels."

-Tennessee Williams

---------------------------

𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟚𝟞

𝔽𝕣𝕖𝕖𝕕𝕠𝕞

I jerked awake, tightening my hold on Nora as I scanned the empty seat next to me.

I cringed when my hand pressed against her soiled diaper. Shifting her to my other arm, I pulled the end of the jacket to cover me better and jumped out of the metal device.

I shivered and tucked Nora into the jacket as a cool breeze rose goosebumps on my skin. The dark sky was filled with shimmering stars that twinkled right next to the crescent-shaped celestial next to it.

I winced involuntarily when Nora's hand shifted onto one of my now healed burn marks underneath the rough jacket.

My feet sunk into the sand, granulated particles flowing between my toes as I scanned the serene surroundings around me. The trees danced with the wind, leaves quivering as if it felt the chill of the air around it.

Nora cooed as she squirmed in my arms. Slowly, her eyes inched open, revealing bright sapphire blue eyes. With her chubby cheeks and the tip of her nose tinged red, she looked like an adorable sight.

"Mama." Nora's sleep filled drowsy eyes lit up as she smiled a one-toothed smile Her chubby cheeks lifted up as she reached her pudgy hands up to touch my face.

I laid a small kiss on her dark petal-soft hair and cuddled her closer to my warmth as my eyes observed the medium-sized fire made on a pile of rocks next to a palm tree. Occasionally, it spit out a piece of hot charred wood.

"Well, you've finally woken up."

I turned my head to see Reya with a clear bottle full of fresh water. She told a big gulp and held out the bottle to me questioningly.

Without any words, I grabbed the bottle and placed its mouth on Nora's lips, tilting it slightly so she could drink it better. After she was full, I lifted the bottle and took short controlled sips, relishing in the feeling of water soothing my dry throat.

With a satisfied burp, I held the empty bottle out to Reya. She grabbed it with a smirk and tossed it into the fire as she plopped down next to the warmth.

"You're lucky. On most days, it takes me weeks to find an oasis." she said, as she gazed into the fire.

I kept quiet, relieved to finally be reunited with Nora. She bounced in my lap with excitement, and clapped her hands at nothing in particular. Her eyes danced with mirth as she wiggled out of the warmth of my jacket.

Her wings laid flat against her back, protecting her body from the cold as she wobbled on short legs.

She clapped her hands once more, and let out a giggle, pointing at Reya with one finger as she turned to me. "Mama, s-stranger."

She shook that one finger from side to side and pouted her lips, trying to look stern. "Bad."

I nodded at her, smiling to affirm that it was indeed bad.

She jumped once, and then twice when she realized that she wouldn't fall.

I watched confused as she continued jumping, her face twisted into features of utter concentration.