xiii. Time

RILEY

 I smiled down at Sabine as she lay in my lap, I knew she was tired, but I hadn't exactly expected her to nod off as soon as I said it was okay.

I heard chuckle come from the other side of the room, and my smile turned into a scowl. I looked up at my brother as he sat across from us in the rocking chair.

"How long have you liked her, little brother?" He spoke, causing my anger level to rise once again.

"What the hell are you talking about?" I growled at him.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about, Riley," he had his 'big brother' voice on now, which meant he was serious, and I was to pay attention.

I sighed, and stared down at Sabine's sleeping form. I watched as she slowly inhaled and exhaled. There was no way I could deny that something about Sabine drew me to her, in a way that was far beyond what my mind told me was appropriate. But there was also no way I was explaining that to my big brother.

"You're seeing things, Nate. There is nothing happening between Sabine Greyson and myself."

"Oh, I can see that, little brother. But that's not to say you don't want things to happen," Nate lifted one eyebrow and had a smirk that told me he was very pleased with himself. If Sabine hadn't been asleep in my lap, I would have been quite happy to wipe that smile right off his face.

I was just about to say a few choice words about Nate minding his own business, but Sabine stirred, mumbling in her sleep. She didn't seem to be having a nightmare and thought she may be more comfortable in her bed.

Slowly, carefully, I gathered her in my arms, so as not to wake her.

"I'm taking her to bed, please don't make yourself to comfortable," I told Nate, not waiting for an answer before making my way upstairs.

-   

Sabine lay exactly as I had placed her in her bed. I know how creepy I am being at the moment, staring at her sleeping form. I can only imagine the smart-ass comment about perverts she would shoot my way if she were conscious.

I shouldn't be here. But I do not want to go and face my brother. Despite all the joking, he was here for a reason and it wasn't good.

No matter what Nate said, he did not track me down and bust into my safe-house, compromising the safety of Sabine and myself, just because he missed his 'little brother'.

There was something very wrong and I really don't want to know what.

Rising slowly from my spot beside Sabine, I decide that I have to face the music because putting it off won't change the outcome, except that it will include many more suggestive comments from Nate.

My big brother was sitting in the rocking chair exactly as I had left him. Left leg propped atop his right knee, arm on the arm rest and leaning back as though he didn't have a care in the world. It was his face; the stress lines and frown that were so unlike what I was used to seeing on the face of fun-loving joker, Nathaniel Martin. Yeah, I was definitely not looking forward to this news.

Nate's head jerks toward me as I make my way toward him, that always-on awareness instilled by war showing its presence. The frown lines disappear and his trademark smirk takes their place.

"Just putting her to bed, Rye?" He follows up with a wink. Now it's my turn to scowl.

"Mind your business, Nathaniel."

"Oh no, he used my full name. I'm so sorry, mummy." He laughed before seeming to reflect on his words and flinching. My brow clenched.

"What? Nate, what is it? Why are you here?" So much for prolonging the news.