xxiv. Words

"I'm sorry baby, I'm so so sorry." Words I never thought I would hear from that voice again. Words I had longed to hear, begged to hear. But now I dreaded them. Those words meant his presence, and his presence meant watching him die beside me.

The moment I heard the door knob jiggle my heart jumped and plummeted at the same time. I don't know if that's possible but there's no other way to describe the collision of emotion a door knob had caused.

I let out a sob when an open door and words of apology and love confirmed his identity.

"I'm so sorry baby. I didn't want to leave you. I didn't know what to do..."

His words trailed off when he realised we weren't alone. That his confession of basic instinct and primal reaction was falling upon unwanted ears.

The change of tone, stance and facial expression was so quick I would've missed it had I not been watching his every movement.

I had never once doubted Riley's abilities, nor his power and drive. But such things were nothing against a man with a gun.

Another sob broke from me when I saw his clenched fists rise and his knees bend. I couldn't bare to watch him get shot because he wanted to punch his way out of a gun fight.

I had to give Riley credit, he made it on his own well enough until two bulky 6 foot 5 guys revealed themselves from behind curtains and cabinets to hold his hands and knock his face in.

They tied him to a chair back-to-back with me so I could no longer see his face. That broke me.

"Oh god.. Well this really has created a mess now hasn't it?" Chase's brother spoke for the first time since Riley had interrupted his little execution.

"No one warned me lover boy might come back." The remark came with a poignant glare toward Spence who sat shocked by the sudden commotions.

With Riley unconscious in the chair behind me, Bliss too far away to even know of my death and Spence a traitor to me I felt suddenly very alone.

Thoughts raced through my head, each pushing the other for the forefront position.

Bliss won't find out for days I'm dead. I don't want her to know.

I trusted Spence. This is my fault.

Riley's going to die because of me. I can't watch him die. I can't.

As desperate as the situation was, the main thought that held my attention was that of I'm going to die a virgin.

What a horribly teenagery thing to be thinking in such a predicament. At least Riley won't die a virgin.

Suddenly I wished more than anything I had just jumped his bones every time I thought about it... Which I was ashamed to admit, was a lot.

Pulling me from my thoughts of far too inappropriate things, Chase's brother groaned in exasperation after moments of pacing back and forth.

He turned to his two guards, who were no longer bothering to hide themselves from view and demanded that they "watch them! Don't let either move a muscle."

He stormed from the room and I heard the back screen door scream in protest of being opened and slammed shut.

His absence felt like the cap that had been keeping my emotions at bay couldn't take it anymore, and finally  burst off.