xxiii. For Good

Riley

I shouldn't be driving away. I shouldn't be driving away. I need to drive away.

I can't stay there and let how I feel endanger her any more than it already has. What kind of bodyguard am I to put the knife to her throat myself?

The moment I was out of the driveway I had called Hudson and told him that I couldn't be Sabine's guardian anymore. That he needed to send a more suitable protector to watch over her. I didn't tell him why but he knew... Regardless, of any warnings he had given me beforehand about how dangerous it would be, he begged me to stay with her. But I can't do it. I can't see her face or I might lose my resolve.

The streets were deserted as I made my way home. I don't know how long had passed but I would need to stop soon to sleep.

Suddenly I wasn't in the car anymore, I was at home.. Sitting around mums big dining table. There was a Christmas tree in the background and ham on the table. My mother, father, brother and cousins were all there... And beside me sat Sabine. She was laughing at something my Uncle John had said and I revelled in her smile. It had been a while since she'd done that.

I looked up as mum came around to my side. She looked young and happy... Alive.

"She's a good one, that girl. I didn't think I'd ever believe anyone was good enough for my boy but she is, son. Cherish her, do you hear me?"
I smiled at my mother and nodded, looking over a Sabine. She fit in to my life so well. I don't know what I would do without her.

A screeching of tires pulled me from my day dream and I slammed on the breaks. I wasn't paying attention and had drifted to the other side of the road. I was too close to hitting a suburu that had two children in the back seat.

Fuck. I needed sleep. And I needed to go get my girl.

Sabine

The sound of the door opening was the first thing that made me move in hours. He is back. He didn't leave me for good. I haven't lost everyone.

How could I ever have believed he would leave me? Riley said he loved me. That had to mean something to him.

I tried to stand but my legs buckled and I fell again.

Downstairs I could hear Riley opening and closing doors. He was looking for me!

Desperate to go to him and apologise... beg... do whatever it would take to make him never leave again, I forced myself up and onto my feet.

Wobbly, but mobile, I turned for the stairs as fast as I could go.

I called out to him as I quickly lowered myself to the bottom step, before stopping.

There was no response and the house remained eerily quiet.. Why hadn't Riley called out to me?

My stomach clenched as I looked around... Something was very wrong.

That was my last thought before I got hit straight over the head.

-

Ugh... Everything was foggy and my mind screamed at me to go to back to sleep. It's too early, it said.

The painful crane in my neck was the only reason I forced my eyes open, and when I did the struggle to hold in a scream nearly succumbed me.