Living your best life

The Flight of the Bumble Bee erupted from Jamal’s phone … He looked at the time ….. 6:23am ….. “What the fuck … This better be good ….” He said into the phone ….. “Oh this is good ……. Its prom day Bish …. So get up and get ready … we got a ton of things to do ……..” Lexx yelled into the phone …… Jamal rolled his eyes …. “I told u … I’m not doing the prom …… I just don’t feel like it ……” Jamal pulled the cover over his head …… “How long are u gonna be down about Tony???? It aint like he told u he aint want u ……” “Well he might as well …… He … U kno … Poz …… Wat am I posed to do????”

“Girl …. And I use the term loosely ….. Pay it …. This is the senior prom ….. u at least need to enjoy this …. If not for you … do you it for your mother …….” Lexx started playing Mama’s song in the background ….. “Ugh … U are so late ur early …… Wat time u gonna be here ….”  Jamal sighed …… “8 am …… so get it together ……” *click*  

Jamal hung his phone up …. He had planned to skip the whole event …… …… First, he lost Dudley …. Then Kevin ……and as soon as he finds someone …….. Bam … Tony turned out to be not ready to deal with sumone his age …… oh no …… Jamal washed his face and looked in the mirror ….  He really just wanted to lie back down, but he figured he needed to go to prom …..He was voted Prom Prince …… and as a tribute to Kevin …the seniors named him King ………

He walked down the stairs and saw his mom and dad talking at the table ……… “And here is my baby Prince ……” Rev. Brown kissed Jamal on the forehead ……. For a second he kinda missed the days when they were beefing … but decided in his head that this Rev. Brown was better than the ole Rev. Brown ……… “Yea son …. So who’s the lucky …uh ….lady ….?”  His father stammered over that statement …… Jamal’s lifestyle wasn’t a choice topic in the household ……..he figured as long as they didn’t talk about it …. It was ok …….. “Its. Shanay pops  …..Shanay Lewis …. You kno from Noble Street… she was named Sunday School Queen this year ……” Jamal poured a glass of OJ ….. His pops frowned a little …… 

“That’s great son …. Well you need anything??? You got your corsage and flowers???”  Rev. Brown asked … for some reason … she was extra cheery today ….. “I’m fine ma …. We going out this morning and get everything … we leaving here at like 6ish for dinner and then to the prom ….. No curfew right???” Jamal asked as he slipped his jacket on ……. Rev. Brown looked at her husband ….. “You big enough to stay out all night … U better be prepared to be in church all day ……. We got a special service tomorrow ….and U guys are singing ……..V.I.P’s are coming from the national church ……” “Yes ma’am ….”  Jamal hugged his mom as he heard the horn blowing outside …….

“You kno this aint Camelot ….this is Crystal Lakes … we are not ghettofied …. So I expect you to not do that ……” Jamal said as he got in the car ….. “chile …. Aint no one worried  bout yall Boo-shey wannabes …….” Alex said as he sped off down the road …… They had a strict time table … Alex had to get his hair rebraided ….and pick up his tux … Jamal needed to get a touch up at the barber shop ……and he was just gonna grab one of his church specials from the closet …… *Feedback rings from Jamal’s phone*  

He picks up the phone and yells into it ….. “What it do trick???” That was Marcus …….. “Nothin much hoe …… just makin sure u aint tryin to back out of tonight …. I had to pull a lot of strings to get u in the court ……”  “Lies … u aint do jack …. Its all me bae-bee ……. Where u at?”  “At Akeems getting him ready …. He gonna make his debut tonight …….” Marcus paused ….. “We going together …..” Jamal looked at Alex … .somehow the word ‘together’ was the important word ……… “Together???? As in riding together???” Jamal asked ….. “What bitch???” Alex asked as they drove toward the shop …… “Together as in ….. we going to prom as dates …….its time we stop playing games …. And be truthful ….after the accident …… you kno ……”  Marcus started to stammer ….. he wasn’t sure ….. but it was too late now …. Akeem was all for it ……

“Uh …. Well u kno I got ur back …. But are u sure ….. I mean this is big … the class president and the star basketball player ….. dating …….This is defeinly gonna be the headlines tonight …..” Jamal couldn’t believe it …. And at the same time … he wished he had a choice to do that …. But of course all his choices weren’t worth mentioning ….. He rolled his eyes as Marcus went on about their matching tuxedos….. and  the limo and their parents .......  “ Well we’ll meet yall at dinner tonight … and don’t be too gay ……”  Jamal laughed into the phone … Marcus hated that word …… “Ugh … I’ll deal with u later ….”  Marcus said as he hung the phone up …..

“Just text me when u done Mal …. I’ll be down at the shop ….” Alex said as he sped off toward his hair appointment ….. Jamal walked into the barbershop …. It was rare that he went into this one …. Mainly because he didn’t wanna be around the crowd that came there …….. HE sat in the chair and waited for his turn ……. “Eagle Trend???” Jamal cringed at the name ….. Each person at the barbershop got a nickname …… His was Eagle Trend cause he shopped at American Eagle ………..  His barber Deuce came to the chair to get him ….. Jamal looked at him as he walked over … in his usual wife beater shirt … that clung to his muscled chest and barely contained his arms ….. Jamal usually didn’t go for the thug niggass ….. but Deuce …. He was an exception … even tho he had the thug appeal … he was far from a thug … maybe that’s why Jamal was attracted to him …….

“Wats going on Deuce ……”  Jamal said as he stood up …….. “Not much … I heard u been blowing … I mean singing at church …….When u getting a contract???”  He asked as Jamal sat in the chair ……… “You is crazy man …. Just shape me up … Prom tonight ….” “Prom??? Damn u growin up fast shawty ……. I mean … Jamal ….”  Deuce always corrected himself around Jamal ….. “U don’t have to correct urself around me … I’m not the English police ……” Jamal said as Deuce did his thing …. Jamal always loved how gentle Deuce was with his head ……. And he always caressed his face while he worked …..  Could Deuce … “Nah ….”  Jamal thought ……… “I’ll be 18 in a few right before graduation ……”

“Oh … well you kno I got you for graduation …….”  Deuce finished up with Jamal’s head and before he knew it …. He was giving Deuce the money ….. “Nah Jamal ...... This one on me ……. Hit me up tho …… I’ll be out and I wanna peep u tonight ……” Deuce slipped his card in Jamal’s hand …….. “Uh … ok ….” Jamal walked out the shop confused as to what just happened …… but he just had a free cut …. Deuce watched as he walked out the shop …. Why couldn’t he just come out and say he wanted to get to kno him better …. He found himself correcting his English and everything around the boy …. Any other kat … Deuce was cool …. But something bout this one …… he couldn’t get it ……. He shook his head as the next client stepped up to the chair ……… Maybe he’d get his chance tonight …….