This is Us

Jamal laughed as he and his friends spent Christmas Eve in the usual form ….. Spending other folk’s money ……. Speaking with Rev. Davis and then to his mom … Jamal had all but forgotten the incident with Kevin …….. As they walked inside yet another clothing store …… Jamal felt some eyes on him ….. He looked back ….. And peered through the crowd …… “Chile … wat are u lookin for?? Aint no one gonna touch ur flat ass ….” Mitch said sending everyone in laughter …….

Jamal rolled his eyes ….. “Wateva …. U is not gonna bring my Yule Tide Joy down …. I’m fittin to jingle someone’s bells tonight ….”  Jamal snapped his fingers … the plan was that they would go out tonight ….. he got permission to stay over his cousin Jay’s house …. And from there they were gonna be partying the night away ….. Among the laughter and fun … Jamal still felt like he was being watched …..

In fact …. Jamal’s feeling was right … a pair of eyes followed his every move … wanting to speak and make things right ….. but Kevin couldn’t allow himself to b e the bitch …… He missed Jamal ….. he missed talking to him … and he hated being around James ….. His way of showing he cared for Kevin meant Kevin was put down, or made to do some ill shyt ……..

“Y don’t ur dumb ass say sumthin to him?” Akeem said as he walked up behind him ……. “Cause ….. I mucked everythin up …. I wouldn’t even know at to say …..”  Kevin looked down as Jamal and his friends walked through the mall …. Jamal turned around again …. And their eyes met …….. “Can u believe this nigga have the nerve to be lookin at me????”  Jamal turned and said to his friends …. A part of him was glad that Kevin was looking at him when he was having a good time …….

Kevin turned around and started walking out …….. “You only get three chances in life u kno? …. U already had one ….. don’t let the other two go to waste …..” Akeem was in one of his poetic modes ….. “Damn Justice …I don’t need no poetry … I need mah boo back …..”  Kevin punched Akeem in the arm …….. They walked out and got in the car …..

Jamal and his friends headed to church for choir practice …… New Year’s service was gonna be tha bizness! … Since Mal was back in the choir …… It was definely on and poppin …….

“No no no!” Sis. Patterson yelled …. “When u say No ….. U turn to the left ….and then clap ….”  She demonstrated ….. “Now Titus …. Take it from the vamp …” Some of the members grumbled … but when the music started …… They all fell in line …… After a few more songs ….. She raised her hands up …… “okay … well how many of yall can sing tonight??? Pastor Brown wants to do a semi midnight musical ……”

“Ahh man!!!” Everyone yelled …. “Wat???? I didn’t hear The lord saying Ahh man when he had to carry that cross for our sins …… and I sure didn’t here him complain when he was pierced in his side …. And I know for a fact he aint say a mumbling word  when ….” “ok ok ….. just no more Bible lessons…..”  Everyone laughed as Jamal spoke up ……. Everyone eventually agreed and in a few hours they were in their robes …… singing

Church do you have it! Do you have like the Bible says? 
Do you talk about, do you talk about your brother?? 
Or do you pray for him??? 
Preacher are you preaching??
(A)Are you preaching that? (T)Are you preaching that? (S)Are you preaching that 
Ole Time religion!!!
It moves, it moves it moves, in my SOUL!!

Jamal held the mic 
Verse: When I’m down and out, Can I talk to my brother,
When I’m burdened down, Can I lean on my sister?
Remember long time ago, We used to pray for one another?
My burden was yours and yours was mine
Talkin bout the ole time way ,
It moves it moves!

The entire church was one their feet … Rev. brown smiled as she saw the spirit move over Jamal’s face …. She heard a small voice speaking to her in the midst …… ‘Don’t stop loving him …..”  She shook her head …… Jamal and the choir moved into the finale …. Joy to the World ……. As Jamal sang the verse ….. He looked up and saw Kevin walking in the church ….. 

He was a lil shaken … but regained control of the song, and once again had the entire church on their feet …… By the end of the third revamp of the song,  Rev. Brown  stepped up to the mic …..

“Now choir … I know you are singing in the spirit …. But The spirit is telling me that there is someone here who needs to know that God loves them and he forgives all …… I. ..I…. I want you to slow it down …. And sing Come to Jesus ….. cause I’m feelin someone needing it ……… As the choir sang … Kevin sat in the back …. He had another argument with James about going to church … James was convinced that he was going to see Jamal …. And Kevin admitted that part of that was true …….. He shook his head … he couldn’t believe that in less than 4 months …. His whole life had changed …… The club scene ….. Jamal … and now James …… This was way more than he was ready to deal with ……..

Tears welled up in his eyes as the choir swayed singing …”Come to Jesus ….”  He slowly stood up as Rev. Brown again made the call ……. “I ..I know there is one person who want to know that Jesus is the reason for the season ……”  Rev. Brown looked as Kevin walked to the altar with his head down …. Jamal was singing until Mitch poked him …….. Kevin stood at the altar crying …… one of the deacons came and comforted him … “We have one!!!!!! A young Man!!!! Is there another????”  

One by one a few more came to the altar …. All asking for forgiveness …… Rev. Brown prayed for them all …. And then dismissed the congregation ………  She once again heard that voice when she hugged Kevin ….. ‘Tell him I love him …..’ Rev. brown looked at Kevin, who had regained his composure ….. “HE loves you ….” She said as she hugged him … “And don’t forget that …..”  Kevin looked at her and nodded in agreement ……

Jamal , however wasn’t  too thrilled as he saw Kevin ….. Kevin saw him and walked over to him … but Jamal quickly walked away …… “Damn … maybe he aint see me…. I’ll see him tonight ….” Kevin walked out and got in his car …….