Once again Indie was forced to look up from her book.There were only a few open desks availiable.And one was literally right next to her desk. The English teacher scanned the room looking for available desks for Luke to sit at.

Lyla raised her hand almost immediately.

"Ms. Winchester, Luke can sit at this desk right next to m–" Lyla said,her eyes kept on Luke,her hand raised

"Ah,right there in the back by Indie." the teacher spoke over Lyla

Indie's eyes widened in alarm.Luke,who appeared to be inattentive the whole time, was now completely focused.

Lyla's mouth dropped open slightly. If Indie wasn't so upset with Ms. Winchester,she would have snapped a picture of the look on Lyla's face.It was literally priceless. Lyla closed her mouth and forced herself to smile and shrug it off like it didn't matter to her.

But Indie knew the truth.Lyla was not okay that Luke was going to be sitting next to Indie and not her.

Well for your information Lyla,I'm not okay with this either. Indie felt like telling her.

"Luke,you can sit next to Indie." Ms. Winchester told him,"Indie,raise your hand so Luke can see you." 

Indie bit her bottom lip and slowly raised her hand in the air.Luke's eyes found her and a small smile appeared on his face.It took everything in Indie to not smile back.Indie quickly returned back to her book as Luke made his way down the aisle to the desk right next to hers.

"Okay,so now that we have that figured out." the teacher clapped her hands and walked over to her podium,"Let's get out our textbooks." 

Indie huffed,already fed up with the class period.And she usually loved English.She opened up her backpack and pulled out the small,purple textbook.She placed it on her desk and simply sat her book on top of it.

"We're going to start on page 35." 

Before Indie could even open the book,she felt someone tap her shoulder.Indie turned her head to see Luke looking at her.

"Can we share a book?" he asked her

Indie nodded, causing more of her hair to fall in her face. Luke smiled and scooted his desk over next to hers. He was so close that their elbows were touching. Indie felt her face begin to heat up.She pushed her book in the middle of their two books and flipped to the correct page.

"The Cask of Amontillado." Luke read the title,"Great I have to live through this story again."

Indie wrinkled her nose at the Edgar Allan Poe short story.She literally despised any writing  by Edgar Allan Poe.She had to read The Tell Tale Heart in 5th grade and had nightmares for a week.What so many Literature teachers and authors saw so good about him was a complete mystery to her.

"I'm guessing you're not an Edgar Allan Poe fan either."

Indie turned her head to look at him.She must have been looking at him weird because he decided to clarify.

"You do this thing where you wrinkle your nose. And people only wrinkle their noses when they don't like something right?"

Indie opened her mouth and then closed it again. Once again,she didn't know what to say.Was it always going to be like this? Would everytime Luke talked to her, she'd be unable to form words.

"So even though we both hate it,we should probs still start reading though,yeah?" 

Indie began to nod again but stopped and cleared her throat. "Y-Yeah."