Chapter Three: The Creature in the Cellar

A cool wind snaked through the depths of the forest and shifted the long, thin branches spread above Rerdas' hiding place. He crouched an arm-length behind a fallen tree, its moist bark obscured by a blanket of spicy-scented green moss.

He had been hunched there long enough to sink into the peculiar, patient trance that possessed him whenever he was on the trail of some elusive animal. Breath came and left him slow and even, drifting in and out of his lungs without a sound. His feet were rooted firmly in the damp earth, and his hands caressed an arrow poised against the scarred wood of his bow.

Beyond the heavy fallen trunk, he spotted movement at last. Herds of yarrow deer were moving through the forest on their seasonal journey east. Rerdas' breath stilled when the sunlight glanced against a rack of impressive antlers. One of the biggest bucks he had seen in some time. Fingers tightened, he waited until the deer dropped its head before inching his bow up, positioning his shot. The deer's head jerked back up, ears swiveling. Rerdas eased the bowstring back.

A clumsy arrow flew from somewhere behind him and  clattered into the trees far from the buck. The deer sprang back into the protection of the shadowed woods, the sounds of its flight fading as quickly as it had appeared. Rerdas straightened up and glared at the spot where it had stood.

Crunching and crashing from the woods behind him announced the arrival of the crown prince and his entourage. The little man stomped through the underbrush and emerged into the clearing, slapping aside leaves with a vehemence most people saved for combat. Rerdas masked his annoyance and bowed when the prince's gaze passed over him.

"I almost had it," the prince said plaintively. Slope-shouldered Yagru, the Queen's first huntmaster, trailed in his wake. Further behind them came the merry chatter of a crowd. Inofar's royalty did not travel without an obscene retinue of noble flatterers and servants.

"Of course, Your Majesty, of course. Most likely someone startled it," Yagru said. He shot Rerdas a nasty look.

"Yes. You must train your Second Huntsmaster further, Yagru."

"I have tried, but he is an eager young man. Too eager, perhaps," Yagru replied. Rerdas bit back his reply and arranged his expression to look contrite.

"My apologies, Your Majesty. It was my error," he murmured. Never mind that the gods-be-damned parade of courtiers was scaring off half the game in the kingdom.

The prince spared barely a glance for him. "Your master is merciful," he said absent-mindedly. "This looks like a nice spot. The hunt has gone on long enough. We will rest here a while."

At his announcement, the clearing bustled with servants, laying down heavy rugs and low tables quickly laden with food and drink. Rerdas dropped back to stow his bow in Hastings' saddlebags and tie the horse.

Yagru scurried after him. "What were you thinking?" the man hissed once they were both safely hidden from view by the horse's broad side. "Do not ever take a kill from the future king, you idiot. Imagine what would have happened if you had shot it! He'd have both our hides!"

"I'm sorry," Rerdas muttered. "I was just...hunting."

"Your job," Yagru said, jabbing a gnarled finger into the younger man's arm, "is not to hunt. It is to save your royal masters from the slightest embarrassment. Taking down a prize buck that the prince is unlikely to win himself would be a ridiculous breach of etiquette. We've been over this!"

"It won't happen again," Rerdas said. He needed Yagru to like him if he wanted to keep the position. It was either that, or curry favor with the nobles far above him and such cat-and-mouse games made him nervous.