Ch. 1 | Part iii

And now, for the final Loverboys...

draft 1

CAUGHT IN LOVE: At first glance, by chance..

I was completely wiped out from work. I had been pulling doubles all week and I'm was happy the weekend had finally came. A vacation is something I need more than anything at the moment. I had been saving for a house near the ocean since my father had said something about it in his fifties. I figured I could by the house for my parents as an anniversary present, but they couldn't live as long as I hoped. By the time I owned the mini beach house, I had heard about their passings and felt ultimately lost.

Now, the house I had bought for them is now mine. A sad smile covers my lips as I tread down the beach. I had left the house alone because of the maddening silence that suffocated me. The fresh, sea air was perfectly welcoming to me. My feet were barely in the water as the waves brushed against the shore. The water travels up my legs, and I sigh. When I stop and stare at the sunset, I can't help the tears or the sobs from escaping.

My knees fall into the water, and I cry and cry, allowing the tears to be carried away by the current. After the sun goes down, I begin to wipe my tears and stand. Snot had leaked down my nose and I wipe it away with my shirt, making a mental note to change into pajamas when I reach the beach house. Instead of staring at the sky, I turn my back on the ocean and trek the climb of the sand. The wind was blowing a bit, whipping my hair about my face.

I didn't care for it much, but when I slipped, a scream left my mouth. I reach for roots or something that'll let me hand on as I slide off the cliff. My feet push at the rocks as I gasp and reach for something that wasn't there. My hands begin slipping and I can't find a grip, but the crashing waves resonate in my ears like wailing banshees.

"Please," I plead to the night air, "someone! Help! I'm falling—ah!" My own shriek replaces my voice as my hands grab onto something but I end up sliding off the cliff. Whatever I had grabbed onto sliced my palm as I fell.

I could only imagine the sharp rocks at the bottom, how I would be pierced and shredded from their solid bodies, and all I could think about was my parents. My mother's smile, my dad's laugh.. I missed them so much since they left me in this world alone, and their faces flash across my vision. Memories fade my consciousness into the unconscious as I succumb to my death. I didn't want to die, but it was obviously meant for me to join my parents.

I wonder how long until someone finds my body, I wondered. They'd probably never find it if it's in shreds and in the ocean. The sea creatures will devour me and I'll be reported missing, but never found.

Tears burst from my eyes and I begin to shake as I near my death. Instead of hitting the rocks, something shoves into me from my right. A gurgled scream comes from my mouth as I fall face forwards into the water. I'm enveloped into the icy depth, and my hand, the cut, stings like no tomorrow. I kick my feet up towards the surface and scramble my way to the surface. I didn't dare open my eyes just in case the sea water would affect them.

My hand breeches the surface and a bit of the wind touches my skin. A smile reaches my mouth and I kick even harder to breathe the sea air. Without thinking, I burst from the water and a gulp of air opens my lungs. I fall back into the water, dunking myself, and bobbing back up towards the surface. My arms flail about as I try my best to stay above the water. I cough and sneeze, shivering from the cold water.

My eyes search for the mainland, and I see it stretch farther down towards the other side of the beach, the opposite way of my house. I groaned at the distance before starting my swim. I fight the currents and grab onto the rocks I would have fallen on, but ignore the voice asking who, or rather what, saved me from the painful death. My head shakes the thoughts away, wondering if I reach the shore before I get eaten or cut up even more.