Time to Die

The air thrummed with power as witches, both male and female, noticed his arrival. Coming to their feet they grabbed for weapons, ignited their various abilities as Helix strode past they followed him. Passing the courtyard where his family had been murdered served to add fuel to Helix's fury. He walked faster, face set in a grim mask. The assumption that Zeus and Decuma would be found in what remained of the great hall was correct. As he stepped into the crumbling structure, lit by a large smokeless fire in the center, the god and seer looked up from where they had been conferring over a large table. Across the surface was strewn papers, maps, food and drink.

Zeus came to his feet, lightning crackling to life in his outstretched palm. Decuma stayed seated, raising her own hand to Zeus's elbow, "Wait. I want to hear what he has to say. After all, it is rather brazen of him to stroll up in this fashion."

In her green eyes was a wariness. What she could sense Helix did not know. Erring on the side of caution he immediately spoke, "Surrender and be spared. Fight and face Hades in the underworld."

"Hades can't hold me! And even if you could kill me I'm not about to give you the chance." Zeus thundered, the lighting crackling once more.

"Peace, my lord." Decuma's gaze never left Helix's face.  "Is that all? If so I think we will pass."

He knew that the crafty seer was up to something. Her will was almost a living thing that he could smell.

"One more thing." With a quick thought Helix released the souls of the living dead, holding back his living witch allies and the soul of Alexa. Within seconds the entire courtyard and beyond, was filled with his army.

For a split second all was silence, then Decuma laughed, "Oh Helix I thought you were smarter than this?" She snapped her fingers seemingly at nothing. The next instant Eslein materialized behind him a knife held to his throat.

"I'm sorry Helix. Its the only way I can get my sister back." Pain laced her words.

The sting of her betrayal burned in his chest. Still he spoke calmly, "I have your sister. A gift from Hades."

"Kill him! Kill him now!" Decuma snapped, "Don't listen to these lies."

Eslein's hand trembled, "What?"

Focusing Helix pulled Alexa's soul from the periapt. Instantly the knife fell away from his throat as the sisters both cried out and embraced each other.

"How touching." Zeus growled, "I've seen enough." Lighting bolts lanced out toward Helix and the women, igniting chaos.

Battle erupted. Witches power thrummed, the dead attacked and Azag's demonic laugh echoed eerily above the din. Helix rolled into a shift, the gods lighting attack harmlessly meeting his blood mist as the man turned wolf.

Alexa and Eslein were joined by Cinix who threw up a hand blocking Zeus's attack aimed at them. "Ladies, if we could hug it out later. I believe now is the time for action."

A blast of fire and ice roared at Helix from separate directions. Leaping clear he ripped throat from one of the attacking witches then whirled looking for Zeus. He caught a glimpse of the seer and god fighting their way toward the rear exit of courtyard. A bit further on he saw Ynyr laying waste to witches attacking him black clouds and sword ripping at the enemy.

Snarling Helix summoned his own witches from the periapt and howled a battle cry. Were-wolves and witches converged in a writhing mess of gore, screams power and pain. With a steady rhythm he crossed the battle field until he was standing behind Zeus and Decuma. Ynyr stood at their front and a few moments later Cinix and Azag appeared to either side.