Brews a Plenty

24 AD

By the gods, this city smelled. The stench that assaulted Helix's heightened senses was almost enough to make him vomit. Bodies, refuse, animals so, so many smells drifted through Carthage. With a monumental effort he ignored the odors until at least some of them were not quite so strong.

The streets bustled with people going about their daily lives. Merchants, peddlers, soldiers, and citizens going who knows where. Weaving through the crowds Eslein and Helix reached a street near the center of the city. The witch beside him stopped so fast that he had to step to the side to avoid running into her.

"You alright?"

Eslein's eyes were narrowed on a particular doorway. "The haunt."

The door was a simple, plain wood. Above it was a sign that read, 'Brews a Plenty.' At first he did not see anything to cause concern. But there, just to the left of the door leaned a man. His posture was relaxed, shoulder length blond hair hanging neatly, his clothes were well tailored to fit his evenly muscled frame, but it was his eyes that set Helix's instincts roaring. Hazel, shining brighter then any mortals eyes could possibly glow, and looking right at them.
As the two males eyes met, the blond flashed a grin revealing too perfect white teeth.

"Who is that?" Helix asked.

"Cinix." Her voice was tight.

"I take it we don't like him?"

"Cinix Larias is a bastard!" She hissed between clenched teeth. "But, he owns the place. We have to deal with him if we want get in."

"So? Do we just walk by him or by, deal, do you mean I bite him?"

Eslein sucked in a breath and shook her head, clearly ignoring his sarcastic comment. "Keep your voice down. I'll talk to him." She walked forward, still looking pissed. Helix trailed behind her, his gaze again meeting the 'bastards' stare. "Cinix."

The blonde arched and eyebrow at the icy vocalization of his name. "Hello sweet. Been awhile." His voice was a deep, silken song. Soft as satin yet hard as granite. The language Helix recognized as Eslein's.

Instantly the hair on Helix's neck rose. This man before him was a predator. His instincts roared at him to flee! Fighting the urge Helix merely stared, a hand drifting to the small of Eslein's back. She leaned into the touch.

Cinix's eyes darted to the movement, his face an unreadable mask. "New pet?"

Eslein stiffened as Helix released and involuntary snarl. Cinix laughed darkly, followed by a flash of teeth that was anything but friendly. One blink they were normal, perfect, human teeth, the next, every tooth from his canines and back had narrowed into sharp, elongated gleaming points. A feeling of dread curled deeper into Helix's gut as Cinix's appearance returned to normal, save for the brightly shining hazel eyes.

"He is just my guest Cinix." The witch snarled. "We only wish for drinks and lodgings. I believe you still own me a favor? Time to pay it."

As his intense gaze lingered, Helix fought the urge not to look away first. Finally, the hazel daggers shifted back to Eslein. "Of course you are welcome sweet. Him. I am not so certain of. I do not like his scent."

"It's mutual." The words came out quiet, but not weak.

"Helix..." Eslein hissed in warning.

Cinix tilted his head ever so slightly, switching languages to flawless greek as he asked, "What are you?"

This time Helix flashed the grin. Internally wondering if he could learn to shift his own teeth into that of a wolf. Of course trying here, in the middle of a busy street, with an enemy so close was not about to happen.  "I will answer your question in exchange for admittance to your establishment?"