He was actually quite handsome. His jawline was defined, his nose was sharp but no too big or pointy. His golden hair fell in smooth waves ending just below his ears. He was lean but she could see the defined muscles in his arms as he held himself up. "I'm sorry I've been such an ass," he said suddenly.

Diana pulled her head back and stared at him. She certainly hadn't expected that; she had been prepared to defend an argument that hadn't even started. She looked away. "It's not like I've made it easy for you to be nice to me," she pointed out.

Jacin chuckled and looked up at her. "I'm not gonna lie, that is very true," he said.

Diana glared at him and his eyes brightened. "Regardless of my behavior, why were you being such an ass?" she asked, keeping her voice light.

Jacin didn't look offended but he looked back out at the sea. "I didn't understand why Reith and I were risking our lives for some girls we'd never even met," he admitted.

Diana shrugged. "That's a fair point."

Jacin smiled and looked down. "I want my uncle dethroned too and the things your father and Kotak were working on were supposed to help us be at peace with the surface world..." he trailed away.

Diana lowered head and looked at him. "But..." she prompted.

Jacin sighed. "I'm still a young, arrogant prince who didn't think of the bigger picture. I saw me and my brother, the heirs to the throne, sticking our necks out for two land-dwellers. I knew who your father was as far as being an Atlantean scientist, but as you saw we didn't even know who you really were. It felt stupid to me, I thought Reith and I were Atlantis' only chance; but Meison knows us and knows how to get to us. You," he looked up at her. "You're not like any girl I've ever met, Meison either and I think you scare him."

Diana sucked in her breath, that explained Jacin, but nothing else. "But why me? Why are Arielle and I Atlantis' only hope? We know nothing about our heritage, not to mention the fact that I would have drowned the other night if you hadn't found me. Clearly you and Reith are more qualified," she said, sounding as hopeless as she felt.

Jacin was looking at her, his eyes glittering in amusement. "That may all be true," he began.

Diana rolled her eyes. "But," he went on. "You and Arielle are the only people to be born of both worlds. You grew up on the surface, you can show them that not everyone on land is terrible. And you can be an advocate for Atlantis on land. The reason Reith and I were sent to get you is because we can understand you... to a degree, and we can train you, prepare you for life in Atlantis."

Diana flopped back in the sand with a huff. "So your uncle is trying to kill me and my sister because he's thinking the same things as you but sees them as a threat rather than a new beginning for his people?" she said, still trying to wrap her head around everything.

Jacin lay back, propping himself on his elbows. "I guess that's the short version, yeah."

Diana rolled her head to the side to look at him and frowned. He looked down at her and raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean by training?" she asked skeptically.

A smile slowly spread across Jacin's face and his eyes glittered with mischief. Diana sat upright and looked back at him. "I think we've told you enough for one day," he said, leaning forward.

Diana rolled her eyes again and got to her feet. "You and your brother are the masters of avoiding questions," she said, brushing sand off her back.

Jacin rose as well and smiled. Diana stiffened as an image popped into her head. Her dream the other night, when he had woken up beside her, he had smiled just like that, yet she had never seen him smile since she'd met him.