Chapter 5

Paige sits, squished against six other people on a sofa meant for four. She stares at the plastic cup she's holding. Without taking a single drink, she only swirls the brown liquid within. Becca sits on one side of her, but she's energetically talking to a lanky girl with a pixie cut of purple hair.

Before we got to this house, it was easy to spot the one where a party's taking place. Cars line both sides of the street with more parked on the grass and in the driveway out front. Loud, thumping bass echoes around us, drowning out all other sounds in the neighbourhood. Even the lyrics of the song is muffled by the thundering doosh doosh that reverberates in my ears.

I tip toe and weave around the packed room of teenagers. Even though no one can touch me, I find it freaky to walk through people as if I'm acknowledging my own incorporeal state.

Lounge chairs and beanbags sit against the walls, crowded with bodies that look like they're trying to break the world record for how many people they can cram onto one seat. An entertainment centre that contains the throbbing sound system takes up the far end. The TV screen in the centre shows a music video from some electronic dance artist.

The dim lights of the room highlight the smoke floating around. I'm not sure if the smoke is coming from the atmospheric smoke machine set up at the front of the room or the red glow emanating from the corner where a group of ten have cigarettes dangling from their mouths as they energetically converse.

I take a breath and once again I'm reminded that I'm dead. With how crowded the room is, and the alcohol and smoke filling the air, there are no scents floating around me. This is the first time I've truly realised I no longer have most of my senses. I can't touch anything, nor smell, nor taste. If I also lose my sight and hearing, I'll really think this is hell.

Paige places the still full cup by her feet and turns towards Becca sitting beside her. She screams something but the overwhelming chaos muffles her words, and I have to lean my head close to hers and strain my ears to understand what she's saying. At least I don't have to worry about the personal space issue.

"Do you think we can leave soon?" Paige screams, but her voice still sounds like a whisper among the cacophony of sounds.

"Weren't you the one who wanted to come out?" Becca says.

"You're right." Paige turns her attention to where the TV screen is finishing playing the music video.

A girl with shoulder-length black hair approaches Paige and leans close, saying something directly into Paige's ear. Although the conversation is still garbled, I make out the words Jackson Hunt. Paige just smiles and gives a small nod. The girl goes to say something else, but Paige loses all pretence of a smile and glares at the girl. The girl glances once more at Paige and then turns around and vanishes into the crowd.

I can understand why Paige is getting annoyed by being at this party. At least six people have approached her, and all those who approach her are only interested in only one topic, Jackson Hunt.

The music ends, and the chatter fades as all attention focuses on the TV. Instead of another music video, an entertainment report blares from the speakers. I turn my attention to the report as I want to know why everyone is so captivated.

Jackson Hunt's face appears on the screen.

"Apparently this is a special report since he's touring," someone nearby says.

I stare at the screen, unable to take in what's being spoken about. I need to figure out if he has anything to do with me, but will that be in the report?

Another image appears on the screen, Jackson embracing a girl with red hair backstage at one of his concerts.

I focus on the words from the report, "Jackson Hunt, once renowned for being the lead singer of the band The Fallen, left the band after his sister died of a hit-and-run. After taking some time away from the spotlight, Jackson made a comeback as a solo artist..."