Ch. 37 - Releasing the Beast

Start from the beginning

"It's my first valentines ever and you already set the highest standards possible, what am I going to do later on?" She laughed after we ordered our food to the server. "You really are crazy!"

"The only valentines you'll ever be having will be with me. So I will top it every year. That's the goal." I smirked. "Don't even think about having another valentines, Mrs. Crazy."

"I don't think anyone is going to ever be able to top you off, crazy monkey." She laughed. "How did you manage to set all of this up? Aren't you on a financial ban? And bed rest orders?"

"Amelia Vanderbilt is a wonderful sister during times like this. Since this is my first financial ban, she's showing me the ropes I guess." Avery couldn't hold in her laughter as I frowned shamefully.

No matter how much I pled, my mom was unhinged on setting the ban because she claimed I knew very well how she absolutely hated the idea of me racing. The last time that I ended up in the hospital was already a warning. But if you were to ask me, I'd do it all over again because I'd rather have the ban and my body aching than Charles getting hurt.

Couldn't help myself, I grabbed my phone and snapped a photo of her candid laughters, which made her pout her lips. But that only encouraged me even more and I ended up taking a whole shit ton of photos of Avery's range of emotions.

"I didn't want to ask before, but how did you end up racing with Mason? And how did you both get hurt?" Avery touched the burn mark on hand from the accident. We were sitting on my balcony lounge chairs after dinner and I was holding her in my arms.

"Mason showed up to the tracks without me knowing. We have both always been extremely competitive with each other, especially on the tracks. We even bought matching cars if you haven't noticed." I chuckled softly, reminiscing back to those days when McCall and I were literal partners in crime. "But that day, he tried to run me off the tracks  and when he failed, he tried to hit Charles. Then, I hit his car out of the way so Charles wouldn't get hit."

"Jace, as admirable that was, it was a really reckless action. You could have really gotten hurt, way worse than this...." Avery sighed softly and adjusted herself to face me. "Please stop being so reckless with yourself, you always get hurt like this..."

"I know, Ave, I know. I promise I'll be more careful from now on. I'm alright, see?" I nudged her nose with my finger, which made her smile again. "You were really worried about me back there huh?"

"You were bleeding! It was even worse than that time you got tackled so hard during the homecoming game. I was worried sick about you." She frowned, and she was back to being mad at me.

"I know, I'm sorry. I promise I will try my best to stop making you worry." I kissed her forehead, which made her anger subside. "I had movies on the projector planned but I kind of just want to stay like this for awhile, if that's alright with you."

"I want to stay like this, too." She smiled before resting her head back on my chest. I pulled the blanket up to cover us and we both just stayed  like that, looking at the stars and talking about our futures.

Never thought I'd say this, but fuck. I loved Valentine's Day and I couldn't wait for many more, with Avery in my arms and her peaches and cream scent engulfing me, just like this.

——————————————————

To top it all off, Blake had to take me to school today and for the next month since my car privilege was gone. My mom really wasn't going to ease up on my punishment and my dad couldn't even help me even if he tried. My dad said she was even worse on him when he used to race a lot back then with uncle Eli and them. She used to come to the tracks while she pregnant with me and would race too until dad finally promised to stop racing so often.