Chp.1 - Carnival (Part II)

Cora wasn't kidding when she said that was going to be a Ferris wheel. It isn't a big one, but a Ferris wheel nonetheless. The floor is grass and not at all suited for high heels, I saw some unwarned girls struggling to keep their balance and still look like they weren't making an effort. I am glad about my shoes choice, even though they are going to be filthy after this.

There is also a stage where a band played, but no one is dancing yet. A keg and a kid's inflatable pool full with beverages and ice is surrounded by a crowd. There is indeed a palm reader's tent, between an improvised target game and an unmistakable kissing booth, probably based on the Netflix success teen movie or just because the frat guys could kiss a lot of excited girls that lined up and still got paid for it.

And was into the mysterious looking tent that me and Cora ditched the others to go. The fortune teller vibe was more thoroughly thought of as the room was lit by scented candles and a table was set up covered by a red tablecloth, tarot cards, and surrounded by cushions. The woman behind the table wore a purple tunic and lots of ornaments, including at least five bracelets, dangling earrings and more necklaces than I could count. She is on her forties, maybe? It is impossible to be sure as she left only her eyes exposed, earning the wanted mysterious air.

She raises her eyes from her phone and examines us.

"One at a time." She informs bored.

I look at Cora inquiringly.

"You can go first." She shrugs and gives me the thumbs up as she retreats getting out of the tent.

"Have a seat." I smile thankfully to the woman as I sit myself on one round cushion, surely glad that I am not wearing a skirt. "My name is Rosinda and I can see your future," she begins monotonously, "For three dollars I can read your palm, for five I can read the cards for you," she points to the tarot pack on the table, "and last but not least, for only ten bucks I can give you a spell that will bring your lover back."

"That sounds expensive."

She puts both of her hands on the table and gets closer.

"See the future plays with the natural laws of the universe, child. I would say I was being generous, wouldn't you?"

"Not really." It leaves my mouth before I can stop it. "Sorry."

The woman leans back studying me.

"I like you so let's make a deal, I read your palm for four bucks and you leave with a charmed necklace. What do you say?"

"Sounds pretty good to me." It's a party after all, I can have a little fun.

Rosinda smiles and extends her hand to receive the money. I pay her with one dollar bills because I'm afraid that if I give her a five she will try to talk me into keeping  everything for "a half used scented candle that can bring your man back in ten days".

She puts the money on her bra and looks intently at me.

"Let's begin then." She grabs my right hand and passes one sharp nail through my palm giving me chills. "This is your heart line. For what I can see that's the line you are most interested about. Yours goes straight across your palm, it means that you tend to have some difficulty showing your feelings." She drags as if it was a script that she had to go through too many times. "I see some heartbreaks on your path and..."

Suddenly she takes a sharp breath and her head is thrown back. It startles me and I try to push my hand away but she has a firm hold on it. She looks back at me but her eyes are mirrored, seeming to see straight past me. I hold my breath.

"There is a special someone on your path. The great love story you have always dreamed about can be right around the corner. But you overthink too much, and that can make you read into things and not see clearly what's right in front of you. Your love life is not going to be easy but you'll ultimately find the one that will sweep you off the ground. Be careful, you can ruin everything."