XLVII. Mending Heart

Comincia dall'inizio

I wonder how she would feel if she knew she did forgive Luke in my past. Then again, how can she forgive him if no one is pushing her to forgive him? Because of me, Luke had a chance to play the hero, the knight in shining armor. Now, he is simply a guy who's words don't mean anything to the girl he hurt.

"Everything okay now?"

"What do you mean?" she questioned.

"I've noticed that you've been having some rough times?"

She smiles dimly, "Well-" she stops talking and inhales a deep breath.

"You can tell me. I can try to help if I can."

"Your friend, Sarah, hasn't been nice." She chuckles briefly, "She...been warning me to stay away from what's hers."

I nodded, "Luke."

"Yeah."

I rush my fingers through my hair, "Seems like someone always wants him."

Eli waved two cotton candy bags at him, and I gave him a thumb up as he rushed back towards us. At the same time, Seth returned.

"I don't think he wants that though," Mina grumbled.

I look back at her, "What do you mean?"

"I don't think he wants someone else to decide who he can and can't be with. I mean, I'm not the biggest fan of Luke right now, but what other girls are doing to him isn't right. They're objectifying him."

Now, I understand why Luke fell for Mina. She's keen on others' emotions. Mina is well above her years, someone with an adult's aura.

While I was playing a childish game of - he is my man. She was connecting with him on an emotional basis, granting him a comfort zone.

The guilt only rises with that realization. The understanding that I was a big thorn on their sides. Now, I feel even more terrible knowing they aren't together, hanging on the thought that Luke is alone, and I play a role in the outcome.

"I got two bags!" Eli chirped, before looking at Mina, "Hey!"

She smiled and waved while Seth's hand her the hot chocolate. Since it isn't a relatively large school, everyone practically knew or heard of each other.

Eli and I walk around the fair for a little while, snacking on the candies. Seeing a booth, I walked towards it, and a bracelet caught my eyes. Running my fingers down the beaded jewelry, butterflies crash into my stomach.

I remember this.

Back in my first life, Luke brought me this white pearl bracelet. It was my reward for making our booth number one. We sold the most compared to all the others.

The truth was, it was a pity gift.

One that says, "I'm sorry for spending the fair with someone else when I promised you I would spend it with you."

A gift that says, "Sorry for making you wait in front of the ferris wheel for two hours because I was too busy chasing another girl."

I was still happy that he came.

I noticed how there was a black matching pair beside it.

"You want that?" Eli asked me with a large grinned.

I let go of the jewelry, "No. Not in this lifetime."

Eli hummed, looking around the booth before grabbing a multiple brown leather bracelet. "Let me see your hand," he said, and I smile before lifting my arm. Eli wraps it around my wrist, "I knew this would look good on you."