22 | crαzу ℓιттℓє тнιиg cαℓℓє∂ ℓσνє

Start from the beginning

Just as I was beginning to melt into his lips and his touch, he pulled away from the kiss to gaze down at me with the green eyes that I had grown to love so much. Before now, I had been such a sucker for brown eyes that it was hard to imagine I'd actually be feeling this strange stir in my stomach every time he looked at me under those long, dark eyelashes.

He pulled me further into his spell with a smile that made my heart do backflips, but the trance disintegrated into dust the moment his hand moved to the waistband of my shorts.

"Wait, what are you doing?" I questioned in an odd sense of panic.

River retracted his hand and used them to prop himself above me, instead. "Well, I was going to pull down your pants to possibly do something sexual, but now I'm stopping because it seems like you don't want to go there."

The thought of someone who looked so outright beautiful wanting to do anything sexual with me made my heartbeat shoot through the roof. "Sexual? You want to do something sexual?"

"By the sound of that question and the way your voice seemed to get higher by two octaves, I'm gonna go with no." He plopped onto the bed beside me and stared up at the wooden planks on the ceiling.

"Wait, no!" I turned onto my side to give him my full attention, but even as I tried to reassure him that I wasn't all that opposed to doing something of that nature, his gaze remained fixed on the ceiling and he didn't utter a word, almost as if he had pushed himself into a vow of silence. "I didn't mean to make you upset."

It took him a while for him to answer, but when he did, he breathed a long sigh. "You didn't make me upset," he admitted as he flicked his eyes to me, once again capturing me in his charming gaze. "I guess I'm sorta mad at myself for initiating something so soon. I don't want to make you feel like that's what I'm after."

I had experienced first-hand what it was like to have someone only want me for sex, and I knew River wasn't that. "I know that's not what you're after, but uh ... I'm totally down."

River's green eyes gleamed with something strange. I almost wanted to comment on it, but the way the corners of his mouth twisted into a soft smile took all of my attention instead. "You know what? It's okay. I'd rather just lay here and talk."

"Talk," I repeated, sounding quite a bit annoyed by the word. I was taken aback by River's proposal for sex, but it didn't mean I wasn't up for it. I didn't watch all those gay pornos for nothing, and what better way to lose my virginity than in a rustic cabin in the middle of nowhere? My shoulders slumped a little, displacing my utter disappointment at my inability to go with the flow and let things happen. If I hadn't been such a nervous little bitch, I would've been well on my way to having my cherry plucked.

"Yeah, talk, because I want to know more about you."

I fell back onto the bed in defeat. "I've told you so much about me in these past two days. I wanna know about you."

"Okay, then what do you want to know?"

"What's living with your grandma like?"

River scrunched his nose and squeezed his eyes  shut as he racked his brain for what to say. "Well, to be honest ... it's like what you'd imagine living with a grandma is like. She's into old western music and a bunch of musicians that I've never heard of. She loves watching cartoons and animated movies—absolutely hates horror movies—and is totally scared of the dishwasher."