Chapter Twenty-Nine - Hold on Tight

Start from the beginning

Zak would be lucky if Cain didn't snap his neck.

A far more daunting task than bargaining with Zak lay ahead of Cain.

He knew what it was he had to do.

Rolling over, Cain reached for his phone that sat atop his nightstand.

He picked it up and quickly dialed the number before he could change his mind.

It rang for a few moments and just before Cain could pull the phone away from his ear, someone answered.

"Yes?"

"I need to speak with him," he said, his voice gruff.

"Cain?"

"Yes, it's me."

The old man paused for a moment.

"Jesus Christ, is everything alright?" He asked, finally.

"I need to speak with him, Xavier, " Cain reiterated.

The line went silent for a few moments as the call was transferred.

"Cain?"

His father's voice was an echo of concern and surprise.

Cain drew in a deep breath.

"I need your help."

- - -

Ella's P.O.V.

I was going to have to save myself.

I had no way of getting to a phone to dial the number that Daniel had given me for emergencies.

My own phone was missing; along with my coat, shoes and other belongings.

I had no way of knowing how long I was out of it after being put to sleep in D.C., but I did know that I had been awake for nearly three days.

I slept for a few hours during the days and remained awake during the nights.

If Dr. Weber was what I thought he was, then keeping the curtains open and letting in the sunlight was the best way to keep him from coming inside the room.

At night, however, there was nothing I could do but pray he had forgotten me or was otherwise occupied.

The fear that kept me awake through the night was the primary reason I wanted to leave.

I couldn't stand the pounding in my chest that came about whenever I heard a noise from outside in the hallway. It would leave me shaking and nervous for several minutes.

At the end of each day, a girl my age came in and brought me a broth of some kind and started the fire in the fireplace. Each time she opened the door, I would nearly throw up in my mouth at the thought that it could be Dr. Weber.

I hated the feeling of being fearful and vulnerable, like I was a prisoner waiting for an unannounced execution date.

Dr. Weber certainly knew what he was doing.