Chapter Forty-Four

Start from the beginning

I doubt they'll ever find out about Elise's connection to my family and I don't think I care any more.

"Fine" I nod, "schools given me summer workshops, so I've actually got to catch a flight home"

"Ugh, I don't miss college" he admits, "I just graduated"

I want to ask him about Chris, and Cleo, and Shelby, and Calum, and all those people I used to know back when I was fifteen and friends with Elise.

"How's Chris?" I ask as subtle as possible, "I haven't seen him since probably Christmas 2017" 

Ned puts his arm over Andi and grins, with his shaggy blond hair covering her forehead, "Yeah Chris is doing okay I guess...I saw him and his dad in San Francisco recently, actually"

I look over to Aunt Laura who shakes her head at me, already knowing what I'm about the ask.

"How bout his daughter?" I force myself to ask, "is she well?"

"Cleo?" He nods slowly. "Yeah, she's in kindergarten, not so little any more"

Andi cocks a brow at Ned. "I would like to meet her, you know?"

Ned grits his teeth. "Uhhh, maybe one day" he laughs.

Aunt Laura clears her throat. "You're going to miss your flight, Jason" she reminds me, "say goodbye to Sam and Evangeline and the baby then call the uber"

I roll my eyes "okay, mum" I say mockingly.

I knock on the door before entering where I find Angel holding her baby tearfully.

He looks so much like Cleo.

I remember the day Cleo was born so vividly.

I stand down the hallway, watching as doctor Raff leaves the room wide-eyed. He exchanges a few words with Chris and Elise's family before they start screaming.

I take a few steps closer when I hear Chris cry the words. "You knew! You knew this would happen and you didn't tell me"

What happened?

I find Elise's brother standing with a middle-aged woman in his arms screaming "mi preciosa, no!"

"There was nothing I could do, Chris," Raff tells him, "she's gone I'm sorry, but you have a beautiful daughter in there-"

"Can I see my daughter?" a middle-aged man begs Raff.

His response is a small nod before he says "brace yourself, she lost a lot of blood"

"I can handle it" the man assures Raff before entering the hospital room.

My heart sinks.

I widen my eyes in disbelief.

"look Jas, you can't tell anyone about this, not Sam not your sister...if my brothers or father ever know it will destroy them in ways that I don't want to imagine"

"Can we see the baby?" Elise's brother asks the nurse. The nurse nods. "C'mon Gina"

"No, I stay here," the middle age woman tells him with tears streaming down her cheeks.

He nods before the group of people walk down the hallway. I watch the woman that Elise's brother called Gina. I watch as she places her head into the palms of her hands.