Chapter Thirty-Eight

I look down at my phone to find a text from Aunt Laura.

Sorry I missed you again this morning! I'll make us some dinner tonight?

I struggle to keep my eyes open while limping to the bleachers. I type back.

Alllllllllllllll gg ser yoi rhwm

I need to watch Tyler play. I struggle to walk, I feel as if someone decided to shake San Francisco.

When I look over to the field I see Tyler score.

"Yes!" I scream at the top of my lungs.

"Eighteen to forty-nine" I hear someone say from behind me.

"I love winning," another voice says.

"Tell me about it" I slur my speech.

"Jason!" A voice calls from behind me.

I turn my head around where I find my friend.

"Hey its...what's his name!" I point to him with a smile.

"You're drunk" Duncan widens his eyes in disappointment, standing a few feet in front of me with a grey t-shirt and blue jeans.

"No, I'm not" I roll my eyes.

"Than let me smell your breath" Duncan cocks a brow, taking a step towards me. I take a step back, away from me. "You're unbelievable" he shakes his head.

"I may have drunk a little" I laugh, "but fine its yeah" I mumble an incoherent, jumbled sentence.

I lose my balance, making me tumble towards Duncan. He holds me up for a moment until I'm steady.

"You're wasted! They were right" Duncan exclaims, "I defended you...I told them that you're fine but you're not!"

"Dunc, I'm fine" I slur my speech, "so I had a little toooo much...tooo drink"

"You've been having a little too much to drink for months! Enough is enough" he cries, taking a step towards me "you're like my brother" he places both hands on my shoulders.

I look him in the eye. I see his concern and undeniable loyalty and I don't care.

"Stop being so overdramatic" I roll my eyes, avoiding eye contact.

I look up at the sky for a brief moment to find the dark sky hovering above us. I watch the stars dancing above my head, they're mocking me. So is the moon, so is whatever God is out there. They're all mocking me. Whatever higher power is out there hates me.

"I'll always be here for you, Jason" Duncan sniffs, "that's why you need to understand when I say this...I cannot see you anymore"

My vision goes blurry when I look over to Duncan. "What?"

"I will not stand here and watch this...When you're sober...When you're you again...Then I'll be here" he nods slowly.

"I aamm sober!" I cry, "I drink n sometimes but that's it—"

"You're an alcoholic, Jas!" Duncan throws his hands in the air, taking a step back.

"No!" I shake my head.

"Yes, you are! Look what you're doing, you're attacking your friends, you're getting wasted every night!"

"No!" I tumble backwards, making Duncan grab my arm to steady me.

"Look at me, Jas" he begs, looking me dead in the eye, "I'm the last person you would expect having this conversation with you now...Doesn't that say something?"