Chapter 8

After a lot more arguing, it's decided and agreed that Percy, Hazel, and Frank are going on that quest and that the Romans will give them a boat. Percy kept suggesting that they take the pegasi, but I said that we need them. Blackjack eventually told him that they would not fly there, which finally shut him up. Right before Percy, Hazel, and Frank board the boat, a face appears from the ground.

"Perseus Jackson. You really think you can stop me? This world was mine once, and it will be mine once again!" Gaea says.

"In your dreams, you witch!" I yell.

"Well, if it isn't little Charlotte Silena J-"

"How do you know who I am?"

"Silly child, I know all. I knew who you were long before you were even born. Your father was spoken of in prophecies. Did you think you'd be any different?"

"What are you talking about? What prophecy?"

"I'm surprised you haven't heard it, considering your lineage. Maybe they didn't want you to know."

"Stop playing around and just tell me. What prophecy?"

"A child born of wits and sea

Will go farther than any before.

She will hold the key

To the world at it's core.

But be warned, dear child,

Your road is not an easy one.

To win, you'll need not be beguiled.

Only you will know when it is done.

Your knowledge comes at a cost.

Speak a word, and all is lost."

"'A child born of wits and sea'? Charlie, is there something you haven't told us?" Percy asks.

"There's so much I haven't told you, and if I start talking now, we lose. I'd rather die than let that happen."

"As you wish," Gaea mumbles before disappearing. I feel as though I'm the only one who heard her, a feeling that strengthens when no one mentions what she said. Great. Not only do I have to figure out a way to save the world without people dying, but I also have Gaea out to kill me.

Before long, the trio are off on their quest. Now I have to figure out how I'm going to find Piper and Leo, and I might have to kidnap Jason to boot. Annabeth walks up, interrupting my train of thoughts.

"I know you can't tell me anything, but I have to ask. What did Gaea mean when she said you would travel more than anyone?"

"I'm just not from here, that's all," I respond. Annabeth gives me a strange look as she walks away.

"Hey, kid. Listen, we meant to tell you, believe me, but we weren't allowed," a male voice says from behind me. I twirl, on instinct more than anything else.

"We love you very much, Charlie. Remember that," a female this time.

"Dad? Mom? What are you doing here? How did you get here?" I wonder.

"Same way you did. Besides, we've got something to tell you. It's about what you're planning, or rather, what you're going to plan. It won't work. If you face her with your team, everyone will die. She'll keep you as an example, and so you can live with the guilt. You have to go alone. Only then do you have a chance of winning," Dad informs.

"We've been here too long already. Goodbye, my darling."

"Goodbye." Once they leave, I go look for Blackjack. He's the only one that will do what I ask. Before I get too far, he lands behind me.

"Hey, Boss. Need something?"

"Yeah, actually. And you can't tell anyone. It's top secret, and if anyone knows, they're going to die. I mean it, Blackjack. You can't tell anyone. Not even another pegasus."

"Got it. So what are we doing?"

"We're going to get rid of Gaea once and for all."

"There she is," I whisper. She's still sleeping, but she's deadly. I have to be very careful. I'm halfway to her sleeping form when the ground changes, the walls change, and I'm surrounded by giants.

"You are such a gullible child. This was too easy. Now all I have to do is wait for your little team to get to Alaska. They won't make it very long, I'm afraid. I will bring you back a treat, however. You and your daddy are going to be the ones who wake me up. The two most powerful demigods in all of existence. Just one drop of blood, that's all it takes.

"You're wrong. They'll make it. They'll beat your pitiful excuse of a son. You'll be left without a male demigod's blood. No one knows where I went. They'll all think I just left, and there's nothing you can do about it. Even without me to tell them what to do, they're going to beat you. It's inevitable. If I have to die to ensure that you lose, I will do so gladly."

"Will you now? I might not be able to get your father, but I do have this scrumptious little thing." One of the giants drags a dirty, grease covered boy with goggles close enough so I can see who he is. Not that I couldn't tell from the grease and the goggles.

"Leo! Leo, you need to listen to me! Leo!" I scream.

"It's too late, young one. He's already too broken to hear you."

"No! I don't believe that! Leo would never give up! He'd never break! Leo, I know you're in there! I need you to listen!"

"That's enough. Get him out of here, and lock her up. I want the demigods to believe they can save her, so I can get them all in one place." The idiots put me in a cell right across from Leo, and there's no guards.

"Leo, I need you to listen carefully, okay? I need your help. We can't let her get the demigods, and I can't do this without you. I need your fire, Leo." He looks up, shocked.

"How-how do you know?"

"I know a lot of things I'm not supposed to, but right now is not the time. I need you to get us out of here, and I promise that when this is over, I'll tell you everything. We need a plan."

Leo is able to control his fire long enough to get us out of the locked rooms. I grab his shirt, knowing his hand is hotter than a human body can handle, and pull him towards the doors where Blackjack is hopefully still waiting. I sigh in relief when I see the familiar black body and shove Leo towards him just as the doors burst off their hinges.

"Let's go!" Leo shouts.

"That's not happening, Leo. Someone has to cover your exit, and I'm the only one who knows how to fight. You need to find Annabeth. Tell her everything, ok? Tell Annabeth I'm sorry, but I thought it was the only way. Now go!" I demand.

"Not without you!" Leo counters.

"Blackjack, take him to Annabeth as fast as you can," I command.

"Yes, Boss," Blackjack says, sounding so sad that I almost change my mind. Almost. Blackjack takes off with Leo on his back. I'm now alone with four giants and no god to help. As one, they attack.

A/N Sorry not sorry for the cliffhanger, but it's such a good feeling as an author. I understand that as readers, it kills, but it makes the story that much better. I really hope you enjoyed the double chapter surprise. Although I don't think Percy would be happy that I've done this to his daughter. Anyway, until the next time!

~M