The Almost Calm Before The Storm

By the time all six of us got settled at the bowling alley, the voice in my head grew louder and more painful. All of us sat around each other. I sat in between Klaus and Diego, Five sat beside us, and Luther and Allison sat across from us. We had to pay for a game to be allowed to stay so we had an empty scoreboard set up with all our names as we tried to figure out what to do about the end of the world.

"Look, I hate to be the one to say this, but everyone needs to prepare," Luther announced. I rolled my eyes.

"Never hated saying stupid shit before," I muttered, causing Diego to snicker beside me.

"For what?" Klaus asked Luther at the same time.

"To do whatever it takes to stop Vanya," Luther replied dismissively. Allison slapped Luther's chest with her notepad. I choked on laughter as he glared at Allison. "We may not have a choice, Allison."

"Bullshit." I cut in, earning a glare from Luther.

"There's always options," Diego added.

"Yeah, like what?" Five inquired. Diego wavered.

"I don't know." He replied shaking his head. Luther suddenly stood up.

"Look, whatever we decide, we need to find Vanya. And fast, okay? She could be anywhere." He instructed. Beside me, Klaus opened up the newspaper he took from Five.

"Or . . . here." Klaus said after a moment. All of us turned to him skeptically. "Look at this." He gestured to the paper as all of us crowded around him. On the page was a huge advert for a musical concert held at the Icarus Theater. Vanya was in the advert as the soloist of the night, her smiling photo beside her name.

"That's right. Her concert's tonight." Diego muttered to himself. All six of us exchanged a look.

"Hello." A tense yet sweet voice suddenly came from behind us. All of us turned to a young woman with the nametag 'Midge'. "I hate to intrude, but my manager says if you're not gonna bowl, you gotta leave." She said unpleasantly before turning around to the counter. A man stood behind it as he slammed a pair of bowling shoes onto the counter.

"Whose turn is it?" Diego asked reluctantly.

"Oh, for fuck sake." I sighed exasperatedly as I used my dark energy to pick up a bowling ball and launch it into a random lane of pins, getting a strike while still staring the man down. I turned back around as the man walked away, shaking his head. I realized that Luther had done almost the same thing as me. We gave each other a weird look before I went back over to sit next to Klaus. I watched as Allison began to scribble on her pad.

She's our sister

She wrote. Luther clenched his jaw.

"We're the only ones capable of stopping this. We have a responsibility to Dad." He replied. I scoffed.

"To Dad?" I asked incredulously. "No, I've heard enough about--"

"He sacrificed everything to bring us back together." I glared at him and opened my mouth to speak.

"I'm with Luther on this one." Five chimed in, stopping me before I could get a word out. "We can't give her a chance to fight back." Five looked at me. "There are billions of lives at stake. We're past trying to save just one." I glared at Five and Luther as a heavy silence fell among us.

"Hey, you know, guys, uh, maybe I could help." Klaus broke the silence apprehensively.

"Now, is not the time," Luther muttered annoyedly.

"No, let him finish." Diego cut in. Luther looked at him weirdly. "He saved my life today," Diego added gently, smiling to Klaus as he stood up.

"Is that true?" Luther asked in disbelief.