Freaks (Flashback)

---The Year is mid-2002 (all kids are twelve and a half)---

Our first big mission as the Umbrella Academy was the robbery at West Central Bank in downtown Toronto. Our father had us get all suited up, masks and all, and shipped us out the door at the first alert. We got to the bank quickly, Five spacial jumping us in our respective locations. Luther and I were stationed together on the roof, being the first in our order. I could see a crowd of people, policemen, news reporters, and innocent bystanders alike behind barricades several feet from the marble steps of the bank. I sighed and shook my head, as I looked straight ahead waiting for Allison to spring the gunshots. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Luther looking at me.

"What?" I whispered to him with a furrowed brow. He glared at me.

"I don't understand why Dad puts you with me." He said under his breath. I rolled my eyes as gunshots were sounded. Luther and I exchanged a glance before springing into action. Luther smashed the sunroof, falling onto one of the armed robbers as I followed him levitating off the ground before rolling behind a pillar. I watched as Luther threw a guy out a window and Diego stabbed a guy with two knives. Five suddenly appeared and was tricking the only robber left in the front of the bank. Five teleported away after spooking the guy, giving me my signal. I used my power to switch the man's gun with a stapler, allowing Five to hit him with it when he teleported behind him. I smiled at him as the man fell to the ground. All of us regrouped as we made our way to the vault, robbers were inside, unaware of what happened to their buddies. I stood in front of the door with Ben as he turned to the others.

"Do we have to do this?" He asked nervously. I watched as our siblings nodded.

"C' mon Ben. There are other guys in the vault." Luther said. Ben sighed.

"Fine." He whispered as I took his hand and we entered, shutting the door behind us quietly. I turned to him as we watched the robbers filling their bags.

"On the count of three," I whispered to him, holding his hand tightly. "One. . . Two. . . Three!" I yelled as I let go of his hand and jumped into the air, a ball of surging dark energy forming around me. Ben's tentacle power was thrashing guys around, grabbing them from every angle. I let my dark energy surge, piercing through guys' chests and obliterating them. I felt my hands pulse under my gloves but kept them on. Our father specifically told me to leave them on under any circumstance. Harsh winds mixed with pools of blood flew around Ben and me, covering us in the metallic smelling thick liquid. When the last guy was dead, I landed on my feet again, shaking with a throbbing body. Blood was stuck onto me everywhere and was even in my mouth. I turned to Ben, who looked as white as I felt. He was covered in blood as well. I swallowed with a shudder as he slowly opened the door again. Our siblings were standing around the door expectedly. Ben and I were both visibly shaking as we looked up at them.

"Can we go home now?" Ben asked miserably. Our siblings nodded as we headed to the front of the now-empty bank. Ben and I were behind the group, walking slower. Before we made it the door, I stopped him.

"Here," I said as I began wiping his face, his clothes already somewhat dry. He smiled a little at me.

"Thanks, Nixxie." He whispered. I nodded as we joined our siblings outside, both of us still dripping blood. We stood on the bottom steps as news reporters had cameras on us, firing questions at us a mile a minute. Photographers were snapping photos every second, almost blinding me. Suddenly, the crowd parted ways and our father walked up to the stairs, stopping behind Ben and me.

"Our world is in danger." His voice boomed, the crowd-silencing. "We need people to stop it. People with special abilities beyond human comprehension. I have adopted seven such children-" I shuddered at his words. Vanya was always left out because she was labeled as ordinary. I never believed that she was, but she was always excluded from us anyway. Suddenly, the microphones jutted forward.