XXVIII. Daddy Don't Do Disrespect

ابدأ من البداية

"Please, father, don't son me."

"When I was your age-"

"Yes, I know. Dinosaurs still roam the street, and you had to hunt them down till extinction to save humanity," Trevon clicked his tongue.

"Pushing that sarcasm and disrespect that would've gotten you grounded aside. When I was your age, I would go out with my friends all the time! Make memories!"

"I do go out. I hang out with Eli and Ben all the time."

"Yes, and the three of you hole yourselves in a room, gluing your eyes to the tv screen," mom said, and I nodded along.

"That's it." Dad smacks mom's lap causing her to giggle. "I'm calling your teacher. You are going to participate in the Fall Festival with Mary and Elijah as a representative."

Trevon stood up and stomped his leg, "What? Dad! That's unfair!"

"Oh, talking about unfairness. You're also grounded for two weeks."

"Why?"

"One. You called me old when I'm clearly young and driven." He glanced at mom and tugged his brows, causing me to swallow the vomiting sensation lurking inside my throat. "Two. Daddy don't do disrespect."

Mom giggled, "Oh, daddy."

He pats her butt and smirk, "Yeah, baby?"

"Oh, ew," Trevon and I said while feeling mutual disgust towards our parents. Sometimes, they can be too much.

Trevon glare at me, "See what you did?" He threw his arms in the air and stomped out of the room. "It'll be fun, they say! Having a twin is so much fun, they say! Someone who can understand you is the best thing in the world they say!"

I bit my lower lip to hold back the smile that somehow wants to emerge. Taking a few blinks, my eyes met with my mom, who tugs a brow, "Mind helping me with dinner, sweetheart?"

"But I'm tired," dad whined, wiggling his body, causing it to slide downward. He looked up and pouted at mom.

"My other sweetheart," she clarified.

"Oh, have fun, girls." He waves us goodbye before we leave.

Mom smacks his head before standing up and gesturing me into the kitchen. Tugging my shirt down, I slowly follow her from behind. Silently, we began cooking, "So-" mom decided to break the silence.

"Yes?" I extended the word, as the knife in my hand continued chopping the lettuce.

"Elijah and Mary are your brother class representatives for the Fall Festivals."

"That...they are."

"Elijah is such a good boy."

"That...he is."

"Mary is such a sweet girl."

"That...she is."

"They would make such a good couple. Don't you think?"

I put the knife down and lean an elbow against the counter. "Mom. Why don't you just tell me what you really think instead of playing this mind game?"

"Do you like Elijah Wood?" she bluntly asked.

"N-No."

"Sweetheart. You can tell me the truth. I'm your mother."

"Eli is Trevon's friend, mom. I don't see him that way." I, once again, drew the same dense line.

She continued stirring the food in the pot. "That's too bad." She blew the sauce and licked the spoon for a taste before grabbing some ingredients. "Because I'm certain, the boy got a thing for you."

"Don't ever say that again." I resume my chopping.

"Why not?" she began sprinkling salt into the pot.

"Mom. Eli is Trevon's friend."

"You know. I thought you were better than this." She places the lid on the pot.

"What do you mean?"

"Using your brother's best friend excuse."

I stop chopping momentarily before resuming my actions. "I love Trevon, mom. I don't want to do anything to hurt him."

Mom settles herself beside me, lacing her arm around my shoulder. "Are you sure it's only because Eli is Trevon's friend, or is there something else bothering my little girl heart?"

"Nothing is bothering my heart."

"Nothing? Including Luke Parker?"

I drop the knife on the board. "Mom. We talk about him. I'm done with Luke Parker."

"If you're done with him. You wouldn't react like this." I bit my inner cheeks and look away from her accusing eyes. Mom places her hand on my cheek and steadily pulls my view back towards her. "Sweetheart. I'm saying this because I care. One summer should not change you this much." She tucks a small strand of hair back, "What happened?"

" She tucks a small strand of hair back, "What happened?"