Because They're So Much Better at Mayhem

Start from the beginning

Silversin let out another ragged sigh. “So hot. It was so hot in that thing. I felt like I was in Hades’ oven.” She wiped the sweat off of her brow. “And the door was locked. I pounded on the sides and screamed for someone to let me out, but no one would.”

Sam opened Silversin’s pack and rummaged through it.

“I never heard anything,” Meris said in a concerned tone. “Did you hear anything, Dru?”

“Not a sound.”

An idea suddenly struck Myra’s thoughts. Ever since Sam had constructed the litter, she had been trying to figure out why he had used such an intricate double layered pattern for the walls of the cabin, when the whole construction ended up being so simple looking. Surely if the walls were thinner, the litter would have been lighter and easier to carry, resulting in faster travel. But with Dru’s last comment, things were beginning to become clear. Turning toward him—haphazardly noticing that he was now emptying her pack—Myra asked, “Sam did you make the litter sound proof?”

“Yes.” He glanced up, his eyes piercing into her own. She could see his honesty in those eyes, his perfect sincerity and truthfulness. That was what she loved about him, why she was—

As if suddenly realizing what he was doing, Sam quickly glance away, focusing his attention on Lilla’s discarded pack. Myra felt disoriented and weak. Not just physically, but emotionally as well.

“And air proof?” Silversin’s question was soft and full of despair. “I realized after pounding for a while that the air was strange. Then I realized that there wasn’t any. I had to put myself into a state of stasis just to survive.”

Sam dumped the contents of Lilla’s pack on the ground and spread it around with his foot. Normally this would have greatly angered the elf, but at the moment she was not concerned about her belongings.

“Sam!” she yelled as she stood up, charging with her knife drawn. Meris and Dru where instantly by her sides, holding her back by her arms. “Were you trying to kill her?”

He dumped out Meris and Dru’s packs onto his growing pile, then looked at her as if he was once again not going to respond to her, but he said in a straight tone, “I didn’t want to deal with her constant complaining. And if she actually went through with her threats to transform back into Tarsi, I didn’t want any possible way for her to get out.”

“But air tight?!” The elf cried, “What if she hadn't survived?”

“That thought never crossed my mind.”

Lilla immediately stopped struggling and let herself relax. Meris and Dru released her as she turned back toward Silversin. “Fine,” she said over her shoulder. “I won’t move you to my ‘to kill’ list, yet.”

Myra stood rooted in her spot, mind spinning in confusion.

What the bleep was that? Only Sam could somehow break up a volatile situation by saying something so heartless.

“Dru,” Sam called to the fox eared demon. “It seems that Lilla has forgotten to pack food with our provisions. Go catch some fish.”

Just as she was about to go into another mental tangent about Sam's rudeness, Dru grabbed her hand and excitedly pulled her over to the stream. “Come help me catch fish, Myra!” he said with a huge grin. “It’s lots of fun!”

“No, Dru,” came Sam's voice, “She would be of no help to you. The task of collecting firewood would be much more appropriate.” He placed a silver dowel in her hand. “There is no need for kindling. Just bring back an armload of larger pieces.”

As she approached the tree line she heard him speak from behind her, “And stay within sight of us.”

Myra could not complain at her task. The assignment was quite appropriate from her abilities. At least that’s what she thought until she actually tried to find firewood. The forest was nothing but gigantic evergreen trees, with branches much too high for her to reach. So finding any “larger pieces” would be difficult.

She wandered around for a while—keeping in sight of their rest stop—but it was very tempting to go just a bit deeper into the woods in hopes of finding appropriate trees. Still, she made sure not to give into the temptation.

It would do no good to upset Sam if she came back empty handed. Of course, if she did, he would probably just say that he had expected it of her.

“What are you doing out here all alone, Myra?” a voice behind her said. At first it made her jump, but she quickly recognized the smooth tones of Meris’s voice and calmed down.

Turning around, she replied, “Sam sent me to gather firewood.”

“Oh? Me too,” he said with a fangy grin. “Do you want to join me?”

Myra scowled slightly at his first comment.

So, Sam did expect me to come back empty handed. Knowing him, he may have just been trying to get rid of me for a while.

Glancing up, she noticed Meris’s unwavering smile. It was quite infectious and she couldn’t help but smile back, “Ok.”